Number of atoms reacting with a gas

  • Thread starter Thread starter dacoolguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dacoolguy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


4Al + 3O2 = 2Al2O3
What number of O-atoms will react if 45dm3 of the gas reacts with an excess of Al?
The answer is apparently: 4 atoms

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Using the formula n=V/Vn (or the law stating that any gas occupies 22.4dm3 at STP), I found that the number of moles was (225/112) or 2.01. Then I used the formula: n=n*Na (number of moles times Avagadro's Constant) giving me 1.24*1024 atoms. Where did I go wrong please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is not 4 atoms.

I have no idea what 225/112 means, even if the number of moles seems to correct.

You have 45 L of the gas, there is 22.4 L per mole - how many moles of the gas?

You have correctly converted number of moles of gas to number of molecules, however, you forgot that there is more than one atom per molecule.