Number of Integers Satisfying 1<log₃(log₂x)<2

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter yik-boh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Logarithm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 5K views
yik-boh
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
How many integers will satisfy x in the inequality:

1< [tex]\log_{3}({\log_{2}{x})}[/tex]< 2

Note: The log there is not multitplied to the other log. The log there I think is read like this, logarithm of logarithm of x to the base 2 to the base 3.

What can be the solution or technique for this one? This was given on a math contest here and was just asked to solve for 20 seconds.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yik-boh said:
How many integers will satisfy x in the inequality:
[tex]1< \log_{3}({\log_{2}{x})} < 2[/tex]

First step:

[tex]3^1 < {\log_{2}{x}} < 3^2[/tex]

Can you find the second step?
 
I forgot to mention the answer. It's 503.

Trying the step you gave me:

[tex]2^{3}=8[/tex] < x < [tex]2^{6}=64[/tex]

so the new equation would be like this

8 < x < 64

After that, I multiplied 64 to 8. I got 512.

When I got 512, I subtracted [tex]3^{2}[/tex] from 512 then I got 503.

Is my method correct?
 
Why did you multiply 64 to 8 ?

My method would be:

[tex]2^{3^{1}}<x<2^{3^{2}}[/tex]
=>[tex]2^{3}<x<2^{9}[/tex]
 
When you raise an exponent to another exponent, you should multiply the exponents right? So [tex]2^{3^{2}}[/tex] would be [tex]2^{6}[/tex].

Please explain to me step by step what to do. I'm still confused. I'm just new to this type of problems.
 
yik-boh said:
When you raise an exponent to another exponent, you should multiply the exponents right? So [tex]2^{3^{2}}[/tex] would be [tex]2^{6}[/tex].

Please explain to me step by step what to do. I'm still confused. I'm just new to this type of problems.

No. For example, [tex]3^2 = 9[/tex] and [tex]2^{(3^2)} = 2 ^ 9 = 512[/tex] but [tex]2^6 = 64[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]a^{b^c} \neq a^{bc}[/tex]
 
Oh thanks for the explanation dude..

So what would I do next after this:

[tex]2^{3}<x<2^{9}[/tex]

to get 503?


Hope you could explain it step by step. Thanks. :)
 
You could just think about it for a minute :P

Your asking how many integers fall between an interval...
 
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

After arriving at this one:

8 < x < 512

I transposed 8 to the side of 512 so the equation would be:

x < 512 - 8

x < 504

The number just before 504 is 503. So the answer is, there are 503 possible values for x in order to satisfy the inequality. Which is the right answer.But is my solution and reasoning correct? :)
 
[tex]1 < \log_3({\log_{2}{x}}) < 2[/tex]

[tex]3^1 < {\log_{2}{x}} < 3^2[/tex]

[tex]3 < {\log_{2}{x}} < 9[/tex]

[tex]2^3 < x < 2^9[/tex]

[tex]8 < x < 512[/tex]

answer 512-8-1=503
 
yik-boh said:
When you raise an exponent to another exponent, you should multiply the exponents right? So [tex]2^{3^{2}}[/tex] would be [tex]2^{6}[/tex].

Please explain to me step by step what to do. I'm still confused. I'm just new to this type of problems.
[itex](a^ b)^c= a^{bc}[/itex] but [itex]a^{b^c}[/itex] is not.
 
yik-boh said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

After arriving at this one:

8 < x < 512

I transposed 8 to the side of 512 so the equation would be:

x < 512 - 8

x < 504

The number just before 504 is 503. So the answer is, there are 503 possible values for x in order to satisfy the inequality. Which is the right answer.


But is my solution and reasoning correct? :)

yes.