Number of moles equation in exhaust gas

  • Thread starter Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exhaust Gas Moles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
marellasunny
Messages
245
Reaction score
3
I've been given information that the exhaust gas contains only water and no HydroCarbons. So,the only hydrogen composition found in the exhaust gas is in the water.

Similarly,the hydrogen in the air coming-in is only found in the water molecules as the incoming air is pure and without any fuel.

My book hence states the equation relating the number of moles of water and number of moles of hydrogen:
∴ $$n_{H20 in air}=\frac{n_{H, air}}{2}$$

Shouldn't it be the reverse i.e 2*n_{H,air}?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
I've been given information that the exhaust gas contains only water and no HydroCarbons. So,the only hydrogen composition found in the exhaust gas is in the water.

Similarly,the hydrogen in the air coming-in is only found in the water molecules as the incoming air is pure and without any fuel.

My book hence states the equation relating the number of moles of water and number of moles of hydrogen:
∴ $$n_{H20 in air}=\frac{n_{H, air}}{2}$$

Shouldn't it be the reverse i.e 2*n_{H,air}?
There are two hydrogen atoms in each molecule of water, so the number of water molecules is half the number of hydrogen atoms.

Chet
 
Also,I've been given the mass fraction of the hydrogen in the fuel(h). I now want to find the number of moles of hydrogen in the fuel n_{H,fuel}. I'm confused on which molar mass(/molecular weight) to use in the equation:

$$n_{H,fuel}=\frac{mass_{H,fuel}}{M_{fuel/H?}}$$

Must I use the molar mass of the fuel or the molar mass of hydrogen?
 
marellasunny said:
Also,I've been given the mass fraction of the hydrogen in the fuel(h). I now want to find the number of moles of hydrogen in the fuel n_{H,fuel}. I'm confused on which molar mass(/molecular weight) to use in the equation:

$$n_{H,fuel}=\frac{mass_{H,fuel}}{M_{fuel/H?}}$$

Must I use the molar mass of the fuel or the molar mass of hydrogen?
Are you saying you want to find the mole fraction of atomic hydrogen in the fuel, given the mass fraction of atomic hydrogen in the fuel?

Chet