1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EGR ratio from exhaust gas composition

1. Jul 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given:-fuel and air mass flow, measured mole ratios of exhaust composition y_i. Lets assume stoichiometric combustion so we have only CO2, H20 and N2 as products.

2. Relevant equations
    Can EGR ratio be calculated from available data?

3. The attempt at a solution
    skica zadatka (2).jpg
    I get result that molar ratios don't depend on EGR ratio.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #2
    Your first equation already tells you this.

4. Aug 24, 2017 #3
    I have another question. I there is excess air, can EGR be determined? Folowing the same logic as before, it can't. This time I used a slightly different formula but result is the same.
    slika_1.png

slika_2.png

but..
    I found a SAE paper in which (Fresh Air+EGR)/Fuel ratio is determined by exhaust concentrations. So I think there is connection between EGR and gas concentations in exhaust. This is the paper(you can see in preview of SAE paper what I am reffering to, equation (3)): http://papers.sae.org/2010-01-1285/ .I tried to get solution as in paper, but got different result.
    slika_3.png

Attached Files:

5. Aug 26, 2017 #4
    As best I can tell, the mole fractions of the gases in the exhaust are independent of the recycle ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted