Number of partitions for a finite set

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
geoffrey159
Messages
535
Reaction score
68

Homework Statement


Find a recursive relation on the number of partitions ##P_n## for a set ##S_n## of cardinal ##n##. ##P_0 = 1## is given.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


A partition of ##S_{n+1}## is given by the choice of a non-empty ##k##-block ##A_k## of ##S_{n+1}## and a partition of ##S_{n+1} - A_k## which has cardinality ##n+1-k##, for all ##k \in [[ 1...n+1 ]]##. I find :

##P_{n+1} = \sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} {n+1\choose k} P_{n+1-k} = \sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} {n+1\choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} = \sum_{s = 0}^{n} {n+1\choose s} P_s ##

But this formula is wrong and I don't understand why. What did I miss ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##n=4,n+1=5##
##S_{5}=\{1,2,3,4,5\}##
Take your argument for k=2
Non empty 2-block: ##A_2=\{1,2\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k} \setminus A_2##: ##\{\{3,4\},\{5\}\}##
Non empty 2-block: ##A_2=\{3,4\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k}\setminus A_2##: ##\{\{1,2\},\{5\}\}##
Take your argument for k=1
Non empty 1-block: ##A_1=\{5\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k} \setminus A_1##: ##\{\{1,2\},\{3,4\}\}##

So there is some double (or even more) counting going on in your argument.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: geoffrey159
Thank you Samy, your answer is very clear ! I think that in order to avoid this double counting, I must impose that the ##k##-blocs ##A_k## contain a random element ##x\in S_{n+1}##.
In which case, each ##A_k## is the union of ##x## and of a ##(k-1)##-block of ##S_{n+1}-\{x\}##, so that ##A_k## can be chosen in ##{ n \choose k-1}## ways. Finally,

##P_{n+1} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose k-1} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{s = 0}^{n} { n \choose s} P_{s}##

Which looks much more plausible. What do you think ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Samy_A
geoffrey159 said:
Thank you Samy, your answer is very clear ! I think that in order to avoid this double counting, I must impose that the ##k##-blocs ##A_k## contain a random element ##x\in S_{n+1}##.
In which case, each ##A_k## is the union of ##x## and of a ##(k-1)##-block of ##S_{n+1}-\{x\}##, so that ##A_k## can be chosen in ##{ n \choose k-1}## ways. Finally,

##P_{n+1} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose k-1} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{s = 0}^{n} { n \choose s} P_{s}##

Which looks much more plausible. What do you think ?
Yes, that's exactly the method I used. Of course we could both be wrong (argumentwise), but the recursive relation is most certainly correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: geoffrey159