Number of partitions for a finite set

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a recursive relation for the number of partitions of a set of cardinality n. The given formula is found to be incorrect due to double counting, but it is corrected by including a random element in the k-blocks. The resulting recursive relation is found to be plausible and is most likely correct.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Find a recursive relation on the number of partitions ##P_n## for a set ##S_n## of cardinal ##n##. ##P_0 = 1## is given.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A partition of ##S_{n+1}## is given by the choice of a non-empty ##k##-block ##A_k## of ##S_{n+1}## and a partition of ##S_{n+1} - A_k## which has cardinality ##n+1-k##, for all ##k \in [[ 1...n+1 ]]##. I find :

##P_{n+1} = \sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} {n+1\choose k} P_{n+1-k} = \sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} {n+1\choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} = \sum_{s = 0}^{n} {n+1\choose s} P_s ##

But this formula is wrong and I don't understand why. What did I miss ?

Physics news on Phys.org
##n=4,n+1=5##
##S_{5}=\{1,2,3,4,5\}##
Take your argument for k=2
Non empty 2-block: ##A_2=\{1,2\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k} \setminus A_2##: ##\{\{3,4\},\{5\}\}##
Non empty 2-block: ##A_2=\{3,4\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k}\setminus A_2##: ##\{\{1,2\},\{5\}\}##
Take your argument for k=1
Non empty 1-block: ##A_1=\{5\}##, partition of ##S_{n+1-k} \setminus A_1##: ##\{\{1,2\},\{3,4\}\}##

So there is some double (or even more) counting going on in your argument.

Last edited:
Likes geoffrey159
Thank you Samy, your answer is very clear ! I think that in order to avoid this double counting, I must impose that the ##k##-blocs ##A_k## contain a random element ##x\in S_{n+1}##.
In which case, each ##A_k## is the union of ##x## and of a ##(k-1)##-block of ##S_{n+1}-\{x\}##, so that ##A_k## can be chosen in ##{ n \choose k-1}## ways. Finally,

##P_{n+1} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose k-1} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{s = 0}^{n} { n \choose s} P_{s}##

Which looks much more plausible. What do you think ?

Likes Samy_A
geoffrey159 said:
Thank you Samy, your answer is very clear ! I think that in order to avoid this double counting, I must impose that the ##k##-blocs ##A_k## contain a random element ##x\in S_{n+1}##.
In which case, each ##A_k## is the union of ##x## and of a ##(k-1)##-block of ##S_{n+1}-\{x\}##, so that ##A_k## can be chosen in ##{ n \choose k-1}## ways. Finally,

##P_{n+1} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose k-1} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{k = 1}^{n+1} { n \choose n+1-k} P_{n+1-k} =\sum_{s = 0}^{n} { n \choose s} P_{s}##

Which looks much more plausible. What do you think ?
Yes, that's exactly the method I used. Of course we could both be wrong (argumentwise), but the recursive relation is most certainly correct.

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you very much !

1. What is the definition of "number of partitions" for a finite set?

The number of partitions for a finite set is the total number of ways in which the elements of the set can be divided into non-overlapping subsets. Each subset is called a partition, and the collection of all partitions is known as the partition set.

2. How is the number of partitions for a finite set calculated?

The number of partitions for a finite set can be calculated using the partition function, which is a mathematical formula that takes into account the number of elements in the set, as well as the number of distinct elements. There are also various algorithms and mathematical proofs that can be used to calculate the number of partitions for a given finite set.

3. Can the number of partitions for a finite set be infinite?

No, the number of partitions for a finite set is always finite. This is because a finite set has a limited number of elements, and therefore, a limited number of ways in which these elements can be partitioned. However, as the size of the set increases, the number of partitions can become extremely large.

4. How does the number of partitions for a finite set relate to other mathematical concepts?

The number of partitions for a finite set is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as combinations, permutations, and subsets. In fact, the partition function can be expressed in terms of these concepts. Additionally, the number of partitions for a finite set can also be used in various probability and counting problems.

5. Can the number of partitions for a finite set be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the number of partitions for a finite set has various real-world applications, particularly in the fields of computer science, statistics, and combinatorics. It can be used in data analysis, cryptography, and even in the design of algorithms. The partition function also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics.