Partition function of a particle with two harmonic oscillators

In summary: This is because the states of oscillator A and oscillator B are not independent. The states of oscillator A are influenced by the state of oscillator B.
mjmnr3
Homework Statement
Consider now a particle, which can sit in two harmonic oscillators. Oscillator A has
energy levels ε=nhω, and oscillator B has energy levels ε= ε_0 + nhω, where ε_0 > 0 and
n = 0, 1, 2, . . .. The particle can hop freely between the two oscillators, and the available
states for the particle are therefore the harmonic oscillator levels in A and B.

Question b:
Give an expression for the partition function for the particle, when the temperature is T.
What is the probability P that the particle sits in oscillator A?
Relevant Equations
$$
z=\sum_{s} e^{-E(s) / k T}
$$
Here is the solution I have been given:
deleteme7.PNG

But I really don't understand this solution. Why can I just add these two exponential factors (adding two individual partition functions?).-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if ##E_{A}=n \hbar \omega## and ##E_{B}=n \hbar \omega+\epsilon_{0},## Why is
$$
z=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-E_{A} / k T}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-E_{B} / K T}=Z_{A}+Z_{B}
$$
Because I would solve it differently. The way Daniel Schroeder (Introduction to thermal physics) teaches you to calculate the partition function is:
##z=\sum_{s}^{\infty} e^{-E(s) / k T}##, where ##s## is the different quantum states of the system. So how does the two exponential factors appear?

I interpret the system's hamiltonian consisting of a sum of the two harmonic oscillators $$\mathrm{H}=\mathrm{H}_{\mathrm{A}}+\mathrm{H}_{\mathrm{B}}$$, So what I should really find is the eigenvalues to this operator:
$$\hat{H}|s\rangle=E(s)|s\rangle$$
if ##H_{A}## and ##H_{B}## commutes, then they should have simultaneous eigenfunctions and we should expect the energy to be the sum of each hamiltons eigenvalue: ##E(s)= E_{A}+E_{B}##
So in that case, the partition function would be:
$$
z=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-\left(E_{A}+E_{B}\right) / \kappa T}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-E_{A} / k T} e^{-E_{B / K T}}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(e^{-n \hbar \omega /(k T)} e^{-n \hbar \omega /(k T)} e^{-\epsilon_{0} /(k T)}\right)
$$
So the issue, is probably that I really don't understand the setup of this system, and what they mean by one particle and two harmonic oscillators.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the full problem text:
deleteme6.PNG

I use "An introduction to thermal physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, If you prefer to refer directly to the litterature.

For the system in question b, the possible states of the particle are the states of oscillator A as well as the states of oscillator B. So, the possible energies of the particle in question b are the energy levels of A and the energy levels of B.

1609638385245.png

Note that the energy levels for part b are not the sum of the energies of oscillator A and oscillator B. The energy levels in part b are all the energy levels of A and all the energy levels of B.

Likes mjmnr3

1. What is the partition function of a particle with two harmonic oscillators?

The partition function of a particle with two harmonic oscillators is a mathematical function that describes the statistical distribution of energy levels in a system with two oscillators. It is denoted by Z and is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of the system.

2. How is the partition function related to the thermodynamic properties of a system?

The partition function is related to the thermodynamic properties of a system through the Boltzmann distribution law. This law states that the probability of a system being in a particular energy state is proportional to the Boltzmann factor, which is determined by the partition function.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system by considering its microscopic energy states. It provides a bridge between the microscopic and macroscopic levels of a system.

4. How does the partition function change when the temperature of a system is increased?

As the temperature of a system increases, the partition function also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, there are more available energy states for the particles to occupy, resulting in a larger number of possible configurations for the system.

5. Can the partition function be used to calculate the entropy of a system?

Yes, the partition function can be used to calculate the entropy of a system through the relation S = k ln Z, where k is the Boltzmann constant. This equation is derived from the Boltzmann distribution law and provides a way to connect the thermodynamic property of entropy to the microscopic energy states of a system.