Number of Photons and wavelength?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vhbelvadi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photons Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
vhbelvadi
Messages
67
Reaction score
1
I read recently that the "number of photons emitted by a charged particle is inversely proportional to wavelength" with regard to Cerenkov radiations. (The wavelength refers to the radiation which is of comparatively shorter wavelength, towards the blue-end.)

I was looking for a more detailed explanation for this. A little (or a lot of) maths would help too!

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
@jedishrfu - I did that already! Wikipedia states,

"Around the visible spectrum, the relative intensity per unit frequency is approximately proportional to the frequency. That is, higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths) are more intense in Cherenkov radiation."

I was looking for an explanation on how (mathematically) 'relative intensity per unit frequency' and frequency are related. I know they're proportional, but I'd like a mathematical explanation/reasoning for it.