Number of protons and electrons

In summary, the number of protons and neutrons of any element cannot be determined without looking at the periodic table. The number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in order to maintain overall electrical neutrality. The periodic table was created based on the number of electrons in each element, and the history of its development can be found through research. Mnemonics can also be used to remember the elements and their properties.
onurbeyaz
How can I find the number of protons and neutrons of any element without looking the periodic table. And I need them each so mass spectrometer won't work

Edit: I noticed that my title is wrong, explanation of the number of electrons are not needed

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to look it up, I'm afraid. There is no rule.

That is impossible... Are you asking something like:
Given Oxygen how many protons/neutrons does it have??
There is no way in fact- afterall the names are given to each element because of different reasons, and also the elements are placed in the periodic table by the number of their electrons (or protons).
The thing is even worse for the neutrons, since you can also have for the same element, many isotopes.

ChrisVer said:
That is impossible... Are you asking something like:
Given Oxygen how many protons/neutrons does it have??
There is no way in fact- afterall the names are given to each element because of different reasons, and also the elements are placed in the periodic table by the number of their electrons (or protons).
The thing is even worse for the neutrons, since you can also have for the same element, many isotopes.

Ok, so only the number of protons will be enough too. In other words, how did they know the number of protons in elements when they were forming the periodical table?

because the elements had to be electrically neutral. The periodic table is created with electrons...So the number of electrons= number of protons --> overall charge 0.

Likes 1 person
And how did they found the numbers of electrons

They made us memorize this in high school chemistry class. Sometimes there's just no substitute for torture. :)

1. How do I determine the number of protons and electrons in an atom?

The number of protons in an atom is equal to its atomic number, which can be found on the periodic table. The number of electrons in a neutral atom is also equal to its atomic number. For example, carbon has an atomic number of 6, so it has 6 protons and 6 electrons.

2. Is the number of protons always equal to the number of electrons in an atom?

In a neutral atom, the number of protons is equal to the number of electrons. However, in ions, the number of protons and electrons may differ. For example, a sodium ion (Na+) has 11 protons and 10 electrons.

3. Can the number of protons and electrons change?

The number of protons in an atom is fixed and cannot change. However, the number of electrons can change through the gain or loss of electrons during chemical reactions.

4. What is the significance of the number of protons and electrons in an atom?

The number of protons determines the element's identity and its placement on the periodic table. The number of electrons determines the atom's chemical properties, such as its reactivity and ability to form bonds with other atoms.

5. How does the number of protons and electrons affect an atom's charge?

The number of protons and electrons in a neutral atom balance each other out, resulting in zero net charge. If the number of electrons changes, the atom becomes an ion with a positive or negative charge.