Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of protons and electrons

Tags:
  1. Sep 18, 2014 #1
    How can I find the number of protons and neutrons of any element without looking the periodic table. And I need them each so mass spectrometer wont work

Edit: I noticed that my title is wrong, explanation of the number of electrons are not needed

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need to look it up, I'm afraid. There is no rule.

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

That is impossible.... Are you asking something like:
    Given Oxygen how many protons/neutrons does it have??
    There is no way in fact- afterall the names are given to each element because of different reasons, and also the elements are placed in the periodic table by the number of their electrons (or protons).
    The thing is even worse for the neutrons, since you can also have for the same element, many isotopes.

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4
    Ok, so only the number of protons will be enough too. In other words, how did they know the number of protons in elements when they were forming the periodical table?

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

because the elements had to be electrically neutral. The periodic table is created with electrons...So the number of electrons= number of protons --> overall charge 0.

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6
    And how did they found the numbers of electrons

8. Sep 18, 2014 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

9. Sep 18, 2014 #8
    They made us memorize this in high school chemistry class. Sometimes there's just no substitute for torture. :)

10. Sep 18, 2014 #9

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook