Number of students in a class at first

In summary: After a week, 4 more pupils joined the class, so the number of pupils should increase by 4. Therefore, the number of pupils in the class after a week should be m + 4. And if there were 40 pupils in the class after a week, then m + 4 = 40. Solving for m gives us m = 36. Therefore, there were 36 pupils in the class at first. In summary, the number of pupils in the class after a week is m + 4, and the number of pupils in the class at first is 36.
Johnx1
There were m pupils in a class at first. After a week, 4 more pupils joined the class.

a) Find the number of pupils in the class after a week in terms of m.

my answer: m + 4b) There were 40 pupils in the class after a week. How many pupils were there in the class at first?

my answer: no answer

I'm not sure about this question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Johnx said:
There were m pupils in a class at first. After a week, 4 more pupils joined the class.

a) Find the number of pupils in the class after a week in terms of m.

my answer: m + 4

Yes, that's good.

Johnx said:
b) There were 40 pupils in the class after a week. How many pupils were there in the class at first?

my answer: no answer

I'm not sure about this question.

Here, they are telling you:

\(\displaystyle m+4=40\)

So, you need to solve for \(m\) to determine how many pupils were there in the class at first (because this is what \(m\) represents).

What do you find?

Thanks for the reply

There was a different answer that didn't make any sense to me.

The answer that I was given from the book was.

a) m - 20

b) 30.Is this incorrect?

Yes, I don't see how the answers given by your book could possibly be correct.

1. How is the number of students in a class at first determined?

The number of students in a class at first is typically determined by the school or educational institution based on factors such as classroom size, teacher-student ratios, and enrollment numbers. It may also depend on the grade level and curriculum requirements.

2. Is there a maximum number of students that can be in a class at first?

In general, there is no specific maximum number of students for a class at first. However, educational guidelines and regulations may dictate a maximum class size for optimal learning and student-teacher interaction.

3. Can the number of students in a class at first change?

Yes, the number of students in a class at first can change due to a variety of reasons such as new enrollments, transfers, or withdrawals. It may also change if the school or institution decides to adjust class sizes for better educational outcomes.

4. Does the number of students in a class at first affect academic performance?

The number of students in a class at first can have an impact on academic performance. Generally, smaller class sizes allow for more individualized attention from the teacher and better student engagement. However, other factors such as teaching methods and student abilities also play a role in academic performance.

5. How does the number of students in a class at first compare to other classes?

The number of students in a class at first may vary depending on the school, grade level, and subject. Some classes may have more students due to higher enrollment or curriculum requirements, while others may have smaller class sizes for more specialized or advanced courses.