Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of vectors needed to Span R^n

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    I am reading my linear algebra book, and in the chapter on Spanning, I got the impression that for a set to span R^n, it must contain at least n vectors. I confirmed that by searching through the forums.

However, I've reached the chapter on Linear Independence and in one of the examples it shows that a set containing 2 vectors can span R^3. So now I'm totally confused. Any help will be appreciated.

Example in the book:

S1= {[1,0,1], [0,1,1]}, S2 = {[1,0,1], [0,1,1], [3,2,5]}. Book says S1 and S2 span R^3, and prefers S1 since its "more efficient".

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

S1 and S2 have the same span, but it is not R3. For example [1,1,0] is not in their span.

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the help. I just read this page like 100 times, and after reading your answer I read it again and missed an important detail.

The book is describing a subset of R^3 where W = [a, b, a+b] is a subspace of R^3. I still don't understand why they claim that S1 spans W though.

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It does
    W=span(S1)=Span(S2)
    what is
    a*[1,0,1]+b*[0,1,1]?

6. Nov 4, 2012 #5
    that equals [a, b, a+b] which is in W. I see that it works, but what's confusing me is the R^3. Even though W is a subspace of R^3 shouldn't W need 3 vectors in order to be spanned? How come 2 vectors are able to span it when its in R^3?

I wish they left out the R^3 and just put down R^2, then it would make sense to me. Maybe I'll edit that page in my book lol :smile:

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure this is something that should be simple to understand.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Our vectors are in R3. A subspace need not span the space

{[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[1,2,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]}
    is a subspace of R20, but only has dimension 2 like W

8. Nov 4, 2012 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like you need to look at the definition of "subspace" again. A subspace is just a subset that's also a vector space. Your W is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## because a) it's a vector space, and b) it's a subset of ##\mathbb R^3##.

The set ##\{(x,y,z)\in\mathbb R^3|y=z=0\}## ("the x axis") is a subspace of ##\mathbb R^3## that's spanned by a set containing only one vector: ##\{(1,0,0)\}##.

9. Nov 4, 2012 #8
    Got it! I see what you mean. That example actually clicked...finally. Thanks so much!

10. Nov 4, 2012 #9
    Did look over it again. Your example really helped clear things up some more. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook