Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimension of the span of a set of vectors

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    My linear algebra is a bit rusty.

Let ##A=\{\bar{v}_1, \dots, \bar{v}_1\}## be a set of vectors in ##R^n##. Can dim(span##(A))=n## without spanning ##R^n##?

I guess I'm unclear on how to interpret the dimension of the span of a set of vectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The span of a set of vectors is a vector space. There cannot be a proper n-dimensional subspace of an n-dimensional vector space. Any n-dimensional subspace must be the whole thing.

That is one area where vector spaces differ from modules.

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are there n vectors in A? Your subscripts all appear to be 1. Presumably you meant ##\{\bar{v}_1, \dots, \bar{v}_n\}##.

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4
    Yeah that second, 1 should have been an m. Not necessarily an n. (at least I don't think it should necessarily be an n).

6. Oct 21, 2015 #5
    Ok, this is exactly what I needed to know!

I've not gotten to modules yet. I'm taking a second graduate Algebra class next semester though. I'm told we will finally get into them then.

7. Oct 21, 2015 #6

Mark44

Then you should specify some condition on m. If m < n, then your set of vectors could not possibly span ##\mathbb{R}^n##, since dim(span(A)) ##\le m < n##. If ##m \ge n##, the set of vectors might span ##\mathbb{R}^n##, or might not.

8. Oct 21, 2015 #7
    The only condition I wanted on m is that it was not necessarily equal to n. So that it was truly an arbitrary set of vectors in ##R^n##. That way the question was just: "Given an arbitrary set of vectors, A, such that dim(span(A)) = n. Does A necessarily span ##R^n##?" This is a more concise way of asking the question.. I believe the two questions are equivalent though. If not, this is definitely the question I mean to ask.

Which the answer appears to be yes... as per andrewkirk.

Edit: I guess the condition that dim(span(A))=n forces the condition that ##m\geq n##.

9. Oct 21, 2015 #8

Mark44

Yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook