Number Precision When Adding/Subtracting

In summary, when adding or subtracting numbers with different decimal places, it is convention to round the result to the number of decimal places of the number with the least number of decimal places. This is to account for the uncertainty in measurements and avoid giving a false sense of accuracy. This is a common practice in laboratory experiments and is based on the principle that the final answer should reflect the accuracy of the least accurate measuring device used in the data collection process.
Raschedian
If you read any introductory physics or chemistry course, in the very first chapter, you'll come across measurement, uncertainty, etc. There, you learn some rules about rounding off numbers, etc.
One of the rules discussed there is that if you add/subtract two numbers with different decimal places, the result should always be rounded off to the number of decimal places that the number with the least number of decimal places has.
Could you please tell me why this rule makes sense? If possible, please use some practical example like measuring the length of two objects and then adding them together for example. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take two simple examples: Instrument A measures a certain length as 1.235m, while instrument B measures a different length as 2.35m.

Note that A can measure accurately only upto three decimal places, while B can measure upto two decimals.

What you have to know is, the third decimal place for B is inaccurate. So, when you sum the two measurements as 3.585m, you are not actually sure of the third decimal place, because one instrument (B) gives an error in that place.

That is why in such cases, what you have said is done. Remember that this is a convention and not a law. There is no hard and fast rule regarding this; it's a matter of convention.

Often, we add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers with different decimal places, and round off only at the end to say four or five decimal places, regardless of decimal places of the numbers that we used. Rounding off at the end is always better.

Likes Raschedian
"There is no hard and fast rule regarding this; it's a matter of convention. "

Forgive, I may not understand your point here, but the 'rule' is the final answer/result is to be rounded to an accuracy relating to the 'least accurate measuring device in ones experiment'. Rounding, Standard Deviations, Confidence Intervals, Significant Figures, etc. are 'experimental/laboratory' practices giving results reasonable values with respect to the instruments and tools being used in the data collection process. One does not arbitrarily assign an accuracy to a lab results at the end of calculated results, the tools of measurement do. To be fair, you did compare data from instruments having different accuracy factors but there is a rule of practice. For the original question, the rounding to the least number of decimal places reflects the instrument that is least accurate in the data collection process.

Likes Raschedian
Raschedian said:
One of the rules discussed there is that if you add/subtract two numbers with different decimal places, the result should always be rounded off to the number of decimal places that the number with the least number of decimal places has.
Could you please tell me why this rule makes sense?
The definitive reference for measurements and uncertainty is https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/tn1297s.pdf

The best way to handle measurement uncertainty is to calculate and report the standard error. Significant figures are just a lazy shortcut. If you measure a length of 1.00 m what you mean is that the length could be anywhere between 0.995 m and 1.005 m, which according to the NIST document (see 4.6) would give a standard error of 0.003, so you would write the measurement as ##1.00\pm0.003##. If you had a second measurement of 0.100, then that second one could be from a length of anywhere between 0.0995 and 0.1005 m. So the standard uncertainty would be 0.0003 and the full measurement would be written ##0.100\pm0.0003##

Now, if you were to add these two measurements together, the estimates just add, for an estimate of 1.100 m, but the standard errors add in quadrature for a total standard error of ##\sqrt{0.003^2+0.0003^2}\approx 0.003##. So the summed measurement would be written ##1.100\pm0.003##. So if we translate that “official” method back into the significant figures shortcut, we drop all of the digits at or beyond the place where the uncertainty enters in and we get 1.10 m, which is the significant figures from the lowest accuracy measurement

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
Simplest example: you measure 1.0 L of water, then you add 0.1 mL of water. What is the final volume? Does it make sense to say you have 1.0001 L?

Likes James Pelezo
Thank you Dale with the pdf document. I think I understand what you're saying but I'll have to read the pdf document and moreover think a little bit about the good example that you gave here.
If I have any further questions, I'll post them here and your kind assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you very much sir!

Likes Dale
Hi Borek. I think I get your point but would you explain a little bit more please. Thank you!

I think the key to this is to recognize that measurement all have uncertainty. Whenever you write a number, the digits imply an amount of uncertainty. So, if I write x = 1.00 what I am really saying is 0.995 ≤ x < 1.005, I am also saying that there isn't enough precision to write x = 1.000. If y = 1.0 (i.e. 0.95 ≤ y < 1.05), it would be wrong to say that x + y = 2.00 (i.e. 1.995 ≤ x + y < 2.005) because x + y = 1.004 + 1.04 = 2.044 is a possibility.

Thank you DaveE. Your explanation clarifies things for me a lot more.

1. What is number precision when adding/subtracting?

Number precision refers to the level of accuracy in a numerical calculation. When adding or subtracting numbers, precision is important as it determines the exactness of the result.

2. How is number precision affected when adding/subtracting numbers with different decimal places?

When adding or subtracting numbers with different decimal places, the result will have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places. This means that the precision of the result will be limited by the least precise number in the calculation.

3. How can I ensure accurate number precision when adding/subtracting?

To ensure accurate number precision when adding or subtracting, it is important to use the appropriate number of significant figures. This means using all the digits in a number that are known with certainty, and estimating the last digit based on the precision of the measurement.

4. Can number precision be improved when adding/subtracting?

Yes, number precision can be improved by using more precise numbers in the calculation. This can be achieved by using more significant figures or by rounding the numbers to a higher degree of precision before performing the calculation.

5. What is the significance of number precision in scientific calculations?

In scientific calculations, number precision is important for obtaining accurate and reliable results. It helps to minimize errors and uncertainties in the data, which is crucial for drawing valid conclusions and making informed decisions based on the findings.