1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

{Number theory} Integer solutions

1. Aug 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##x_1+x_2 \cdots x_{251}=708## has a certain # of solutions in positive integers ##x_1 \cdots x_{251}##
    Now the equation ##y_1+y_2 \cdots y_{n}=708## also has the same number of positive integer solutions ##y_1, \cdots y_n## Where ##n \neq251## What is ##n##

2. Relevant equations
    I think this is a stars and bars problem but I'm not super familiar with it still

3. The attempt at a solution
    So looking at the stars and bars page it seems that ##{m \choose k}={m \choose m-k}## so then would ##n## in this case just be ##457##? In this case ##m=707## and ##k=250##

Edit figured it out it is ##458## I just forgot to add 1 back to the original ##n##

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think I understand the notation here. You say this problem "has a certain # of solutions in positive integers x 1 ⋯x251" I would take that to mean that it has 251 solutions. You then say "y1+y2 \cdots yn=708 also has the same number of positive integer solutions y1 ,⋯yn y_1, \cdots y_n Where n≠251".

If the first equation has 251 solutions and the next has "the same number" how is it not 251?

And I have no idea what a "stars and bars problem" and a "stars and bars page" are!

4. Aug 16, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe it refers to the problem of how many ways of placing r identical objects into n distinct buckets. Maybe the 'bars' represent the divisions between the buckets.
    The posted solution, after correction, looks right.

5. Aug 16, 2015 #4
    No, the OP simply means that it "has j solutions", where j is unknown.

This refers to an interesting class of problems with an elegant path to solution; there are pages that explain this further on both Mathworld and Wikipedia which can be found using a well-known search engine.

Is the question asking for the number of unique solutions, or are permutations of ## x_i ## permitted?

6. Aug 16, 2015 #5
    ... and have you dealt properly with solutions ending with a bar (that will not sum to 708) and solutions starting with one or more stars that will not satisfy that ## x_i ## are positive?

Well done for spotting the stars and bars analogue though, it is not immediately obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted