1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

{Number Theory} Smallest integer solution

1. Aug 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##x,y,z## be positive integers such that ##\sqrt{x+2\sqrt{2015}}=\sqrt{y}+\sqrt{z}## find the smallest possible value of ##x##

2. Relevant equations
    Not even sure what to ask i'm trying to learn number theory doing problems and look up information by doing the problems.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I have done so far is get it set equal to ##x## so that I could make do some algebra and the answer would pop up.
    ##x=2\sqrt{yz}+y+z-2\sqrt{2015}##

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Should be kind of clear where to go from there. ##x,y,z## are integers. ##2\sqrt{2015}## is irrational. Something else irrational must cancel it. What must it be?

4. Aug 15, 2015 #3
    But if it cancels it out wouldn't that make ##x=0## which I can't have?

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are only two things with can be irrational in your expression. What the other one? Equate them.

6. Aug 15, 2015 #5
    Thank you I'm little tired so I just didn't understand what you said the first time even though it was clear. I got the correct answer now with that hint which is ##96##

7. Aug 16, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. But my argument why is pretty dodgy. If you want to be more rigorous, can you show that ##2015yz## must be a perfect square? What would that imply?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted