1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical floating point addition

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    If I have a bunch of sorted numbers spanning a large range of magnitudes, is it better to add them up from smallest to largest or from largest to smallest, or something else?

Let's say I'm summing an array A, which is sorted from large to small. Which gives a more accurate result:

sum1 = 0
    for i=0,length(A)-1
    sum1 += A
    end

sum2 = 0
    for i=length(A)-1,0
    sum2 += A
    end

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Adding the numbers in order, smallest to largest (in magnitude) is better (less truncation error).

It's also possible to further reduce truncation error by using a function and an array of 2048 doubles to hold intermediate sums where the index into the array is based on the exponent of a double precision number ( in C the index = (* (unsigned __int64 *)(&number)) >> 52) & 0x7ff; ). The array is initialized to zero, and each time a new number is to be added, the index for that number is generated. If array[index] == 0. , then the number is just stored, else number = number + array[index]; array[index] = 0.; a new index for number is generated and the process repeated until array[index] == 0 and the number is stored (or until overflow is detected). Once all numbers have been added, then the array is summed from index = 0 to index = 0x7ff to produce the sum. The purpose of this is minimize truncation.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

rbj

if they're floating point, that's a no-brainer.

start with zero and add the small ones (in magnitude, negative or positive) first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook