Numerical Methods for Learning Orbital Mechanics

In summary: It includes a whole chapter on Numerical Methods for Spacecraft Dynamics and an appendix on Numerical Integration Methods. It also has a chapter on Orbit Determination and another on Orbit Trajectory Optimization which both make use of numerical methods. So, while it is not absolutely necessary to have a full understanding of numerical methods before learning orbital mechanics, it would certainly be beneficial to have at least a basic understanding of them in order to fully grasp the concepts and methods presented in this book.In summary, it is not necessary to take a whole class in numerical methods before learning orbital mechanics, but having a basic understanding of numerical methods can be beneficial in fully understanding the concepts and methods in advanced orbital mechanics. Some topics to focus on would be orbit modeling, orbit
CC4
I'm interested in learning orbital mechanics but I haven't taken a class in numerical methods yet. Do I really need to take a whole class in numerical methods before learning orbital mechanics, or can I get by if I self-learn a smaller portion of the syllabus of a numerical methods class? If so, what topics should I concentrate on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @CC4 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !
Did it occur to you to do some googling ? Your thread title already brings up some goodies, e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Patrick-Chai/publication/281108779_Numerical_Integration_Techniques_in_Orbital_Mechanics_Applications/links/55d5e3c008ae9d659489d4fc/Numerical-Integration-Techniques-in-Orbital-Mechanics-Applications.pdf

[edit] Or even whole books!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/008102133X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1654623286467.png

Apart from that it's hard to advise without knowing where you start from.

##\ ##

Last edited by a moderator:
CC4 said:
Do I really need to take a whole class in numerical methods before learning orbital mechanics
Most principles relevant to orbital mechanics can be and are traditionally taught without the need for numerical methods in general since they are considered a special class of perturbation methods, but I guess that does not exclude a modern course to lean heavily into numerical methods since computers are so darn handy for doing all the calculations needed for high precision work that cannot be done analytically anyway. If the specific class you are interested in lists numerical methods as a hard requirement then it may well be one such modern course.

That said, it would seem strange to try learn (advanced) orbital mechanics without establishing a basic understanding first which, as mentioned, do not require special knowledge of numerical methods. Wikipedia's entry on orbit modeling gives a short overview of the different approaches.

BvU said:
[edit] Or even whole books!
Howard Curtis' Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students is an excellent book.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of numerical methods in learning orbital mechanics?

Numerical methods are used to solve complex mathematical equations and simulate orbital motion in order to understand the behavior of objects in space.

2. What are some common numerical methods used in orbital mechanics?

Some commonly used numerical methods in orbital mechanics include the Euler method, Runge-Kutta method, and the Verlet method.

3. How do numerical methods help in predicting orbital trajectories?

Numerical methods use a step-by-step approach to calculate the position and velocity of an object in space, allowing for accurate prediction of its orbital trajectory.

4. Can numerical methods be used for any type of orbital motion?

Yes, numerical methods can be used for any type of orbital motion, including elliptical, circular, and parabolic orbits.

5. Are there any limitations to using numerical methods in orbital mechanics?

One limitation of numerical methods is that they can be computationally intensive and time-consuming for complex orbital simulations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the chosen step size and integration method.