Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Solutions to Coupled ODEs with Boundry Values at Opposite Ends

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    I am trying to model a packed bed distillation column for a binary liquid in Python. Unfortunately, when I set up my system, I end up with a system of coupled non-linear first order ODEs with boundary conditions at opposite ends (feed conditions and exit conditions), and I do not know how to solve this sort of problem. I know how to solve coupled non-linear ODEs with boundary conditions at the same end, and SciPy has a coupled ODE solver in any case, but I do not know any strategies for solving coupled ODEs with boundary conditions at different ends.

Can anyone recommend a source for reading up on strategies? Or know of any libraries with such solvers (esp. in Python)? This is mostly for entertainment, so if this is an ultra difficult problem, I am willing to give up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    that is the boundary value problem
    matlab could solve it
    the order is "bvp" or something like that

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    COMSOL is a great software application I use to solve systems of non-linear and coupled ODE's and PDE's.

It's very user-friendly, and it uses finite element method to numerically solve the systems. Not sure if you have access to it, but I figured I'd suggest it if you could use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?