Non-linear ODE: initial conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a set of coupled, non-linear ODEs with two unknowns, ##N(t)## and ##\theta(t)##, and the question of how many initial conditions are needed to make the problem fully determined. It is determined that two initial conditions are needed because there are two equations and two unknowns. It is also noted that the number of initial conditions needed is equal to the number of derivatives in the equations. The conversation also explores the possibility of branching in the solution and the relationship between integration constants and initial conditions. Finally, it is clarified that the initial conditions must match the integration being performed.
Arjan82
TL;DR Summary
What are the rules for specifying initial conditions? (How many, which variables, ...)
Say you have the set of coupled, non-linear ODEs as derived in this thread, it has two unknowns ##N(t)## and ##\theta(t)##:

$$ N - mg = - m\frac{L}{2}\left(\dot{\theta}^2\cos(\theta) + \ddot{\theta}\sin(\theta)\right)$$
$$ \frac{L}{2}N\sin(\theta) = \frac{1}{12}ml^2\ddot{\theta}$$

What freedom do I have in specifying the initial conditions to make this a fully determined problem? It definitely works if I specify ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}## as is shown in the thread mentioned above. But could I also specify ##\ddot{\theta}## and ##N##? Or ##N## and ##\dot{N}##? or any other combination of the two independent variables and/or their derivatives? What implications does that have?

I suppose I need two initial conditions because I have two equations and two unknowns, correct?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
How many initial conditions you need what for? I assume, in order to determine a unique solution. A solution can be visualized as a flow through a vector field, i.e. it depends on that vector field how many initial conditions you need to determine a unique flow. As a rule of thumb: it are as many as there are derivatives, e.g. ##\dot \theta,\ddot \theta.##

A more basic point of view: you need for every integration one initial condition to fix the constant.

I am not sure whether this is always true, as I could imagine vector fields with branches at some point, in which case we would need more fix points. But it will do as a heuristic.

• Informative
Likes Arjan82
I look at it this way. If you specify [itex]\theta(0)[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\theta}(0)[/itex], then you can use your two equations to find N(0) and [itex] \ddot{\theta}(0)[/itex]. Similarly if you specify N(0) and [itex] \ddot{\theta}(0)[/itex] you can find the other two. But since [itex] \rm \dot N[/itex] doesn't appear, I don't think it is sufficient to specify N(0) and [itex] \rm \dot N(0)[/itex].

I totally hadn't thought about branching, but I do not necessarily mean a unique solution. Since this is an initial value problem, and I'm only considering models for which the unknowns evolve in time only, I would like to only specify the initial values and let the solution decide which branches to take (are there problems for which this doesn't work?)

I hadn't yet made the link between integration constants and initial conditions, so that is clarifying. This would then also mean that if I had a single equation with a second derivative, I would still need two initial conditions. And, vice versa, if I had multiple equations with equal amount of unknowns where only a single unknown appears as a single derivative I only need to specify a single initial condition, correct?

Arjan82 said:
This would then also mean that if I had a single equation with a second derivative, I would still need two initial conditions.
##\ddot y = 1## leads to ##y(t)=\frac{1}{2}t^2+v_0t+s_0## so, yes, basically, yes.
And, vice versa, if I had multiple equations with equal amount of unknowns where only a single unknown appears as a single
first
derivative I only need to specify a single initial condition, correct?
Yes, one integration makes one constant makes one initial condition.

Of course the initial conditions have to fit to the integration you have to perform. It does not help to have initial conditions ##y^{(3)}(1)=y^{(4)}(2)=0## in the above equation ##\ddot y = 1##.

Likes Arjan82

What is a non-linear ODE and how does it differ from a linear ODE?

A non-linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It differs from a linear ODE in that the function and its derivatives are not directly proportional to each other, making it more complex to solve.

What are initial conditions in a non-linear ODE?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific starting point, usually denoted as t=0. These values are necessary to solve a non-linear ODE and determine the behavior of the function over time.

Why are initial conditions important in solving non-linear ODEs?

Initial conditions are crucial because they provide the starting point for solving a non-linear ODE. Without these values, it is impossible to determine the behavior of the function and its derivatives over time.

How do you determine the initial conditions for a non-linear ODE?

The initial conditions for a non-linear ODE can be determined by looking at the problem at hand and identifying the values of the function and its derivatives at the starting point. These values can also be given in the problem statement.

Can the initial conditions in a non-linear ODE affect the solution?

Yes, the initial conditions can greatly affect the solution of a non-linear ODE. Small changes in the initial conditions can lead to significantly different solutions, making it important to have accurate and precise initial conditions for an accurate solution.