Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NYTimes Feature on James "The Amazing" Randi

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Great article. What a life that guy has had.

I was really tickled by a paragraph late in the article:

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    Nice to read!
    By the way, here is the TED talk mentioned in the article:

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's quite an article.
    So, the media gets enraged because they got caught for failing to do their work - investigative journalism. Well - That's Entertainment!

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

and pretty much to be expected THESE days but it was, I think, less common back then. They really dropped the ball.

7. Nov 9, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sometimes I wonder. I strongly dislike sensationalism, and that seems to be what news is about these days, or at least the headline/mainstream media. I want information, not infotainment.

8. Nov 9, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure. So do I. But the networks are not not in business to give us what we want they are in the business of making money so they give out what MOST people want, which is FOX News and The Housewives of New Jersey. This is sound business on their part.

9. Nov 9, 2014 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think a minority 'want' to watch dysfunctional reality TV. It's probably reality for some folks, but not the majority, or at least I hope that's not the case. I don't care for FOX news, but I wouldn't necessarily put them in the same group as 'Housewives', although I wonder about some of the personalities. Then again, I find some personalities in the broader media landscape are full of themselves to the detriment of the reporting.

Call me a cynic, although I try not be.

10. Nov 9, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ratings say otherwise. Networks follow the ratings. Why do you think there are so many "reality" TV shows on the air? Profit makers pander to the majority, not the minority.

11. Nov 9, 2014 #10
    Love me some James Randi, we need more people like him!

12. Nov 9, 2014 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

+1 on that !

13. Nov 9, 2014 #12
    There's at least one major one; Derren Brown is certainly following in Houdini and Randi's footsteps as a performer/debunker.

14. Nov 9, 2014 #13
    I hope the JREF site improves now that he's once again taking on a more active role. For a couple of years it seemed like just a platform for two bloggers, and even the old archives--the best part--were taken down. Fingers crossed...

15. Nov 11, 2014 #14

Dembadon

Gold Member

16. Nov 11, 2014 #15

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Great stuff. I subscribed to the Skeptical Inquirer for many years. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook