Obama vs. McCain test. What d'you think?

1. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

Here is a short test from ABC that intends to "help you decide" who you should vote for. I had my suspicions re neutrality, but for me I split nearly straight down the middle (where I thought I had always been).

So, give it a shot and comment on it's objectivity.

2. jcsd
  3. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

Ummm...might help if you included the link. :uhh:

4. Re: Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

There isn't a single question that favors either candidate.

Edit: You beat me Moonbear.

5. Re: Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

Chi, can you post the link for us??? :biggrin:

6. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, like I need ABC to tell me how to vote.

8. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is why I'm so curious to see the "test." I have a hard time imagining it helping anyone who is truly undecided. Maybe it'll help those who haven't been paying any attention at all to get a crash course on the positions of each candidate, but I really wish that anyone who has had their head in the sand this long would just stay home on election day.

10. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, and we have no way to know if ABC has accurately reflected the positions of the candidates. What's more, the positions of the candidates are only as meaningful as the word of the candidates.

"Sarah Palin knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America." - John McCain

That must be as much a bald faced lie as any that I've heard.

11. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Clever...they ask an odd number of questions so the final answer will never be "undecided." 7 points for Obama, 6 points for McCain for me. Yep, pretty much where I already knew I was...each of them is worth half a president. :wink:

12. Re: Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

The test is biased against Obama. The questions require you to think about your positions.

13. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

If you don't mind then I'll take the half that comes without the Palin threat.

14. lisab

Staff: Mentor

11 Obama, 2 McCain.

It may have been closer if McCain-2000 were being quoted, but clearly it was McCain-2008.

15. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But that means McCain would never be able to take it.

My score:
    McCain 6
    Obama 7

Actually, that should have been:
    McCain 4
    Obama 6
    Neither 3

16. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True! I didn't keep track of the "neither" choices, but that sounds about right for this one. There's a reason I'm considering a write-in vote. (In the long run, it doesn't matter anyway...I don't think there's any way that WV is going to choose anyone other than McCain by a large margin in this election, so a few write-ins or third-party votes in this state won't make any big difference other than on principle...if I was still living in OH, I'd stick with one of the two main candidates, and not take chances on third party votes in a state where it may be a lot closer and every vote could count).

17. Re: Obama vs. McCain "test." What d'you think?

I just did for fun thinking how I would like those policies in my nation if I ever cared about it.

I got
    McCain:0
    Obama: all :bugeye:

18. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought it was interesting that many of the quotes indicated positions that were not all that far apart.

By the way, it was split 6 and 7 for me too. I was a big supporter of McCain in 2000. I registered as a republican just to be able to vote in the primary. It was the South Carolina primary where I first started to hate W.

I liked McCain, and it will be an improvement no matter who is elected, but Palin is another W.

19. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

I voted McCain this year in the primaries as my greater concern then was a nit-wit like Romney might get the nod, and my state was pretty clearly not needing my vote in the Democratic Primary. If I had it to do over I would still vote McCain, only if doing it over might also mean McCain might make a different selection than Palin.

Sadly I think Palin makes Romney look good. The most pleasant candidate the Republicans offered up I thought was Huckabee, though his social position are totally faith based. I at least respect his positions because he holds to his beliefs and unlike Palin just comes out and says he doesn't believe in Evolution, or gay marriages, or stem cell research. I think Palin's pragmatic approach of dishonestly projecting tolerance is the more dangerous personality and not to be trusted.

20. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny, but the conservatives on Wall Street are saying just the opposite.

21. Evo

Staff: Mentor

10 Obama
    3 Mccain

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?