1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Objection against redi's experiment

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    My question is related to biology, what was the main objection against redi's experiment about biognesis?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can't help you until you show your own effort here. Why don't you start off by describing Redi's experiment about biogenesis to show you've at least gotten that far with your studying.
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    I am familiar with Redi's experiment that he took two sets of four bottles each.In first set he placed dead snakein one bottle, a few dead fish in second bottle, third bottle contained dead eels and in fourth a piece of meat.all bottles of this set were left open.The contents of these bottles were visited by flies.In the second ,he placed same dead animals but covered their mouth of the bottles. after few days , maggots were produced in the first four open bottles whereas no maggots were produced in second set.
    I did n't understand that was clear and fair experiment, then why was it rejected or ignored?What was the objection of supporters of abiognesis?
  5. Apr 2, 2009 #4
    the simple answer is non availibility of oxygen
    ps if this question comes in an exam the above answer is 100% correct as i got the same question for my exam.
    this is also because at that abiogenesis belaivers were at peak and oxygen is required for reproduction
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?