QLD - Year 12 Chemistry Unit 3 and 4, IA2 student experiment suggestions please

k1_k1
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Heyy I just started year 12 this year, and my school has already started our IA2 student experiment, I was wondering which experiment would be the best choice for me to do and would help me to achieve a 20/20.

1. Titration experiment
2. Galvanic cell experiment
could you also provide a list of the pros and cons of these experiments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of a reason why one could be better than other. It is more or less as asking which sport is better - tennis, or basketball?

The devil is in the details - what kind of support, hardware, glassware and reagents is available.

• Skeptical
Likes WWGD, BillTre and (deleted member)
Electrochemistry tends to be quite tricky and the theory too.

Titration is easy as long as you have patience and a working burette. I'd go for that.

Likes chemisttree, DrJohn and jim mcnamara
In my experience (now more than 50 years old), the titration experiment is easier. What could go wrong? I remember in my class, one group of students got the base directly from the reagent bottle, rather than the specially prepared solution from the teacher. Consequently, they could not neutralize the solution practically no matter how much base was added. The solution to be titrated was far more concentrated to neutralize, but as long as you use the prepared solution by the teacher, you should be alright.

On the other hand, I think you will find the electrochemistry experiment far more interesting. (I am old now, so forgive me if I do not understand. I figure you are under 20.) Is it really important whether you get a 20/20 rather than say a 19/20 or 18/20. Maybe you can impress the chemistry teacher and get a really good letter of recommendation if you go far the harder experiment. Maybe your instructor will be more impressed and more easily grade the harder experiment. Of course, I cannot even be sure the gavanic cell is the harder experiment. The question really should be in which experiment will you learn more from.

PS, I found titration (in eleventh grade) as stock and trade for a practicing chemist, but I will never forget the excitement I got from electroplating a nail, (in fifth grade), although clearly, your chemistry class will be more advanced than that fifth grade experiment, which did not even require a write-up.

Likes Marc Rindermann and BillTre

1. What are some student experiment suggestions for Year 12 Chemistry Unit 3 and 4 IA2 in QLD?

Some student experiment suggestions for Year 12 Chemistry Unit 3 and 4 IA2 in QLD include investigating the rate of reaction between different concentrations of acids and bases, studying the effect of temperature on reaction rates, exploring the properties of different types of catalysts, examining the solubility of various salts in water, and analyzing the pH levels of different household substances.

2. How can students ensure their experiments are safe and ethical?

Students can ensure their experiments are safe and ethical by following proper lab safety protocols, using appropriate safety equipment such as goggles and gloves, conducting experiments in a well-ventilated area, properly disposing of chemicals and waste materials, obtaining necessary approvals for experiments involving human or animal subjects, and adhering to guidelines for responsible scientific research.

3. What are some key considerations when designing a student experiment for Year 12 Chemistry IA2?

Some key considerations when designing a student experiment for Year 12 Chemistry IA2 include selecting a research question that is relevant and interesting, identifying the variables to be tested and controlled, planning a detailed experimental procedure, ensuring the experiment is feasible within the available resources and time frame, considering potential safety and ethical implications, and analyzing and interpreting the results effectively.

4. How can students ensure the validity and reliability of their experimental results?

Students can ensure the validity and reliability of their experimental results by conducting multiple trials of the experiment to account for variability, controlling for confounding variables that could affect the results, using appropriate measurement techniques and equipment, documenting all procedures and observations accurately, and analyzing the data using statistical methods to determine the significance of the results.

5. What are some resources available to help students with their Year 12 Chemistry IA2 experiments in QLD?

Some resources available to help students with their Year 12 Chemistry IA2 experiments in QLD include textbooks and study guides on chemistry concepts and experimental techniques, online databases and scientific journals for research articles and references, laboratory equipment and materials provided by schools or educational institutions, guidance from teachers and mentors with expertise in chemistry, and peer-reviewed sources for accurate and reliable information.