1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oblique impact of smooth spheres?

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. A sphere of mass m impinges obliquely on a sphere of mass M, which is at rest. The coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. Show that if m=eM, the directions of motion after impact are at right angles

2. Coefficient of restitution - [​IMG]

3. I really dont think I have a clue with this one, so far I have taken e and substituted it into m=eM to give

m = M x V[tex]_{}2f[/tex]-V[tex]_{}1f[/tex][tex]/[/tex]V[tex]_{}1[/tex]

Can anyone give me any clues as to where to go next or am I going completely wrong with what I have?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried to draw a vector representation of your problem? Try this and make use of the conservation of momentum.

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    This is what I have for the problem,

[​IMG]

Do I have the right idea of what the collision looks like?

And how would I use the momentum conservation here, as in U1 (speed of m before) = V2 (speed of M after)?

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind.

Could you read over this Elastic Collisions artical and let me know if it helps?

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    Ah, that article was exactly what I needed, thanks for your help :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?