Observation of events and analysis of the associated Hypotheses

In summary: The relative frequency interpretation in letter b) means that the experiment is being repeated multiple times and the results are being used to update the probabilities of the hypotheses. In summary, the conversation discusses the assumptions and calculations used in solving for conditional probability in the context of mutually exclusive and dependent hypotheses. The scientist's simpler calculations assume equal prior probabilities for the hypotheses, while the speaker's calculations take into account the initial probabilities of the hypotheses. The relative frequency interpretation means that the experiment is being repeated multiple times to update the probabilities of the hypotheses.
Moara
Homework Statement
A scientist observs the occurence of an event A as a result of some experiment. He believes that the only possible explanations for the occurence of event A are three different hypothesis, ##H_1, H_2, H_3##.

With hypothesis ##H_1##, the experiment produces A in ##10\%## of time, when repeted indefinitely. With ##H_2##, A is observed ##1\%## of time and, under ##H_3##, A is observed in ##39\%## of time.

The scientis decides that ##H_3## is the most likely explanation and that the probability that ##H_3## is true is: ##\frac{0.39}{0.1 + 0.01 + 0.39} = 0.78##

a) What considerations are being assumed as true by the scientist?

b) The probability ##0.78## admits the interpretation of relative frequencies ? Justify

c) Suppose that the experiment consists in a lab test made with a blood sample from a person randonly choosen of a population. The hypothesis ##H_i## is that the individual's blood is of type i. It is known that ##50\%## of the population has blood type ##1##. ##45\%## has blood type ##2## and the remaining part has blood type ##3##. In this conditions, find which of the hypothesis is mos likely, given that the event A was observed.
Relevant Equations
##P =\frac{ n(favorable)}{N}##, ##P(A|B) = \frac{P(A \ and \ B)}{P(B)}##
For letter a), i think that he is assuming that each hypothesis is independent, and that they are mutually exclusive.For letter b), I understand that it indeed admits the relative frequency interpretation, since the the experiment is being produced several times.

For letter c) we do the conditional probability, ##P(i | A) = \frac{P(i \ and \ A)}{P(A)}##, ##P(A) = 0.1 \cdot 0.5 + 0.01 \cdot 0.45 + 0.39 \cdot 0.05## (which does not depends on ##i##), and ##P(i \ and \ A)## is greater for ##i = 1##, ##P(1 \ and \ A) = 0.1 \cdot 0.5##, So the most likely hypothesis is ##H_1##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The information that A occurred can be used to update the probabilities of a random variable. The calculation used in (a) and (b) assumes that the prior probabilities of ##H_1, H_2, H_3## being true are all equal.

FactChecker said:
The information that A occurred can be used to update the probabilities of a random variable. The calculation shown assumes that the prior probabilities of ##H_1, H_2, H_3## being true are all equal.
you mean my calculations in letter c) ?

Moara said:
No, sorry. I meant the calculations referred to in (a) and (b).

Moara said:
When you did the calculation in part c) you used the fact that the different hypotheses were not initially equally likely.

The scientist's simpler calculations, however assumed that the hypotheses had equal prior probabilities.

I agree that there is a further assumption that the hypotheses are mutually exclusive. But, they are clearly not independent.

PeroK said:
When you did the calculation in part c) you used the fact that the different hypotheses were not initially equally likely.

The scientist's simpler calculations, however assumed that the hypotheses had equal prior probabilities.

I agree that there is a further assumption that the hypotheses are mutually exclusive. But, they are clearly not independent.
so you agree with my calculations in c), but don't agree with the scientist's assumption that the events are independent? And letter b) could you clarify what that relative frequency interpretation mean ?

FactChecker said:
No, sorry. I meant the calculations referred to in (a) and (b).
So you agree with my part c) calculation ? What about letter b), as told before, I don't think I truly understand what that relative frequency question mean.

Moara said:
So you agree with my part c) calculation ?
Yes, I agree with your part (c).
Moara said:
What about letter b), as told before, I don't think I truly understand what that relative frequency question mean.
Could that be "omits the interpretation of relative frequencies"? It does omit consideration of the relative frequencies of the three hypotheses. I also do not understand what "admits the interpretation of relative frequencies" means.

Moara said:
so you agree with my calculations in c), but don't agree with the scientist's assumption that the events are independent? And letter b) could you clarify what that relative frequency interpretation mean ?
I agree with your calculations in c). I don't agree with your idea that the hypotheses are independent. Mutually exclusive implies dependent.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is the purpose of observing events and analyzing hypotheses in the scientific method?

The purpose of observation and analysis is to gather empirical evidence and test hypotheses in order to understand the natural world and make accurate predictions about it.

2. How do scientists choose which events to observe and which hypotheses to analyze?

Scientists typically choose events and hypotheses that are relevant to their research question and have the potential to provide useful information about the natural world.

3. What is the difference between an observation and a hypothesis?

An observation is a factual statement about a phenomenon, while a hypothesis is a proposed explanation for that phenomenon. Observations are used to generate hypotheses, which can then be tested through further observation and analysis.

4. How do scientists ensure that their observations are accurate and unbiased?

Scientists use various methods, such as controlled experiments and peer review, to minimize bias and ensure the accuracy of their observations. They also rely on multiple observations and data from different sources to confirm their findings.

5. What happens if the results of an observation do not support the initial hypothesis?

If the results of an observation do not support the initial hypothesis, scientists may revise or reject the hypothesis and develop a new one based on the new evidence. This process of refining and updating hypotheses is an important part of the scientific method.