Observed planets in binary star L4 or L5?

In summary, a binary system with a proper mass ratio between stars could potentially support planets in the L4 and L5 Lagrange points. However, for this to be stable, the two stars would need to have a near-circular orbit and an equal gravitational pull on the planets. No exoplanets in this configuration have been observed so far.
cephron
It seems to me, from my understanding of the Lagrange points, that a binary system with the appropriate mass ratio between stars could support planets in the L4 and L5 Lagrange points (I've encountered this, actually, in science fiction; Larry Niven put such a planet in the Procyon system for some of his stories).

Provided the two stars follow a near-circular orbit, could such a configuration be stable? Have any exoplanets in this configuration been observed?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
From what I've read and been able to figure out is that the stars wouild probably have to have a close to equal gravitational pull on the planets otherwise the orbits of the planets would cross and adn they would collide. It seems as though the orbits would be to unstable to keep planets around for very long.

1. What are L4 and L5 in a binary star system?

L4 and L5 refer to Lagrange points, which are positions in a two-body system where the gravitational forces from the two objects balance each other out, allowing for the stable orbit of a smaller object.

2. How are planets observed in binary star L4 or L5?

Planets in binary star L4 or L5 are typically observed using telescopes and other astronomical instruments. These observations can reveal information about the planet's orbit, composition, and other characteristics.

3. What is the significance of observing planets in binary star L4 or L5?

Observing planets in binary star L4 or L5 can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. It can also help us understand the dynamics of multiple body systems and the potential for habitable environments.

4. Can planets in binary star L4 or L5 support life?

It is possible for planets in binary star L4 or L5 to support life, depending on a variety of factors such as the planet's size, composition, and distance from the stars. However, this is still an area of ongoing research and speculation.

5. Are there any known planets in binary star L4 or L5?

As of now, there are no confirmed planets in binary star L4 or L5. However, there have been some potential candidates, such as the Trojan planets in the Jupiter-Sun system. Further research and observations are needed to confirm the existence of planets in these locations.