Observing the new supernova in Ursa Major (M101, pinwheel galaxy)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
25,837
Reaction score
258
The new supernova is in the "pinwheel galaxy", M101, near the edge of a spiral arm.

The galaxy is in Ursa Major, roughly where the tip of the bear's tail would be if it flicked upward!

It has reached magnitude 10.2, so not a naked-eye object, but visible with binoculars.

For a map, see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Ursa_Major_IAU.svg/1000px-Ursa_Major_IAU.svg.png"

For the story, see http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/128430288.html"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice! I'll have to try to get a view soon. Don't know if I will be able to unless it remains bright into the weekend, as I get off after the big dipper is close to passing out of view from my yard.
 
Thunderf00t has some yewtewbz anent...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i plan to see tonight, i hope i have clear skies !
 
I like the picture at the top of this article: http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/aartscope/2011/8/27/its-a-really-super-nova.html

The article has been updated with different pics since first sighting.

Not a single clear night for me :cry: so vacarious viewing is the only option.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it was more the second version of the crab nebula supernova :(