OCD radiophobe spouse suspects radiation burn

• I
  • Thread starter Jeroen Cranendonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, my spouse has spots that she worries are radiation burns. There is no way to know for sure if this is the case, but getting psychological care may help her to overcome her fear.
Jeroen Cranendonk
My spouse has severe OCD and radiophobia. I realize this is not exactly the most appropriate venue for our questions, but hopefully somebody can help us in the right direction.

She noticed several small (3-5mm), circular petechiae in a regular pattern across a roughly 6x6in area on my left upper back, and a horizontal band of smaller spots below it. The spots do not itch or hurt, and are not raised above the surrounding skin. Her worry is that these spots are radiation burns; the size and spacing seems to match holes in a steel bench, and radioactive contamination of the steel supply is one of her fears.

Is there any way to rule out radioactive contamination as the source of these spots? I'd be happy to provide any additional information that may help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is absolutely no way you can get radiation burns from a steel bench unless you put that steel bench into a nuclear reactor for a while, and then sit on it with skin contact and completely motionless for a while to get the pattern. And even then the pattern would be the opposite - burned skin where the bench is and potentially weaker damage where holes are.

If the pattern is from the steel bench, it is probably pressure-related mechanical damage.

Her worry is that a sufficiently powerful radioactive source behind the suspected bench would cause surface burns similar to the bench's hole pattern. (There was construction ongoing nearby, and she has specific worries about the radioactive "pigtail" used in industrial radiography.)

Would the physiological response be any different than what we're seeing? Would clothing and distance affect the injury, and in what way? Is there a difference in injuries seen for α, β, and γ activity?

Jeroen Cranendonk said:
My spouse has severe OCD and radiophobia. I realize this is not exactly the most appropriate venue for our questions, but hopefully somebody can help us in the right direction.

She noticed several small (3-5mm), circular petechiae in a regular pattern across a roughly 6x6in area on my left upper back, and a horizontal band of smaller spots below it. The spots do not itch or hurt, and are not raised above the surrounding skin. Her worry is that these spots are radiation burns; the size and spacing seems to match holes in a steel bench, and radioactive contamination of the steel supply is one of her fears.

Is there any way to rule out radioactive contamination as the source of these spots? I'd be happy to provide any additional information that may help.
Sure; "radiation burn" isn't really a thing, at least in the way you are using it.

But that isn't your problem; your problem is that phobias can't be countered with logic, they must be countered with psychological care. Please get some for her. Thread locked.

Likes Imager and mfb

1. What is OCD?

OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It is a mental health disorder characterized by recurring and unwanted thoughts, obsessions, and repetitive behaviors.

2. What is a radiophobe?

A radiophobe is someone who has an irrational fear or aversion to radiation. This fear can cause them to avoid situations or objects that they believe may expose them to radiation.

3. What are the signs and symptoms of radiation burn?

Radiation burn is a type of skin damage caused by exposure to high levels of radiation. The signs and symptoms may include redness, pain, swelling, and blisters on the affected area. In severe cases, it can also cause long-term damage to the skin and underlying tissues.

4. How can I support my spouse who is afraid of radiation?

The best way to support your spouse is to listen to their fears and concerns without judgment. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer to accompany them to therapy sessions. Also, educate yourself about radiation and its risks to better understand their perspective.

5. Can OCD be triggered by a specific fear, such as radiation?

Yes, OCD can be triggered by a specific fear or obsession, such as radiation. This is known as a specific phobia. It is essential to address both the OCD and the specific fear in treatment to help manage symptoms and improve quality of life.