Odd vs. Even number of Nucleons.

In summary, the addition of a neutron to U235 results in an even number of nucleons, while U238 has an odd number. This affects fission likelihood, which is explained by the role of parity in nuclear binding and stability. There is a differential equation that can be solved to show this relationship. Some may consider it "thread necromancy," but providing helpful content is always valuable. The speaker is looking forward to taking their first nuclear engineering class in the fall.
WatermelonPig
Yeah I'm taking this introductory nuclear science class, we're reading Rhodes's Making of the Atomic Bomb. Apparently, U235 with a neutron added now has an even number of nucleons while U238 obviously has an odd number with the single neutron bombarment. And this affects fission likelihood. So, why is this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's an older thread here which you might find valuable on the role of parity in nuclear binding and stability.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=290735

WatermelonPig said:
Yeah I'm taking this introductory nuclear science class, we're reading Rhodes's Making of the Atomic Bomb

I must say, I think that's a very good choice of literature for an "introductory nuclear science" class. :)

PS: Apparently some people don't like thread necromancy, but personally, if it's < 1 a and I'm contributing helpful content to the people who haven't gotten any reply previously, then why not?

Thank yo for this response. The explanation seems very much like the reasons for electron orbital pairings. Apparently there is some differential equation which when solved shows this explicitly. And yeah that was a great class and I'm looking forward towards taking my first nuclear engineering class this fall.

1. What is the difference between an odd and even number of nucleons?

An odd number of nucleons means that the nucleus has an odd number of protons and/or neutrons, while an even number of nucleons means that the nucleus has an even number of protons and/or neutrons. This difference can affect the stability and properties of the nucleus.

2. How does the number of nucleons affect the stability of an atom?

The number of nucleons in an atom can affect its stability because it determines the balance of forces within the nucleus. An even number of nucleons typically results in a more stable nucleus, while an odd number can make the nucleus less stable and more prone to radioactive decay.

3. Can an atom have an odd number of protons and an even number of neutrons?

Yes, an atom can have both an odd number of protons and an even number of neutrons. This is known as an odd-even nucleus and it is relatively common in nature.

4. How does the number of nucleons affect the mass of an atom?

The number of nucleons in an atom contributes to its overall mass. An atom with more nucleons will have a higher mass compared to an atom with fewer nucleons. This is because the mass of a proton and neutron is relatively large compared to other subatomic particles.

5. Are there any exceptions to the odd-even rule in nucleons?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the odd-even rule in nucleons. For example, some isotopes have even numbers of both protons and neutrons but are still unstable and undergo radioactive decay. This is due to other factors such as the arrangement of nucleons within the nucleus.