Odds in Probability of Green Eyes

In summary, the odds of selecting only 1 student with green eyes out of 3 randomly chosen students from a class of 27, is 92/233. This is calculated by finding the probability of success (selecting 1 green-eyed student) and the probability of failure (not selecting 1 green-eyed student) and using the formula Odds = P( s )/P( f ) = P( s )/(1 - P( s )).
Math Man900

Homework Statement

Of 27 students in a class, 11 have blue eyes, 13 have brown eyes, 3 have green eyes. If 3 students are chosen at random what are the odds of the following occurring?

Only 1 has green eyes.

Homework Equations

Odds = P( s )/P( f ) = P( s )/( 1 - P( s ))
Probability success = P( s )
Probability fail = P( f )

The Attempt at a Solution

P( s ) = (3/27) * (24/26) * (23/25) = 92/975
P( f ) = 1 - P( s ) = 883/975
Therefore: Odds = 92/883
I went over this problems many many times, and i believe this is the correct answer, but the back of the book says the answer is 92/233. There is a chance the back of the book is wrong. any ideas? thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. there are 3 ways to get 1 green person (1st,2nd, or 3rd) which means P( s ) = 3*92/975. and when you work out P( f ) you find the odds are: 92/233. QED. thanks

I would approach this problem by double-checking my calculations and assumptions. I would also consider the possibility that the book is incorrect. I would also consider the context of the problem and whether there are any other factors that could affect the odds, such as potential biases in the sample of students chosen. If necessary, I would consult with other experts or resources to verify the correct answer. It is important to always question and verify our results in scientific analysis.

1. What are the odds of having green eyes?

The odds of having green eyes are approximately 1 in 8, depending on the population. This means that for every 8 people, 1 is likely to have green eyes.

2. Are green eyes rare?

Yes, green eyes are considered rare. Only about 2% of the world's population has green eyes.

3. Can two brown-eyed parents have a child with green eyes?

Yes, it is possible for two brown-eyed parents to have a child with green eyes. This is because the gene for green eyes is recessive, meaning it can be passed down from parents who do not have green eyes themselves.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the likelihood of having green eyes?

Yes, genetics is the main factor that determines eye color, but other factors such as race, ethnicity, and geographical location can also play a role. For example, people of European descent are more likely to have green eyes compared to other ethnicities.

5. Can eye color change over time?

Yes, it is possible for eye color to change over time. This is most common in babies and young children, as their eye color may darken or lighten as they mature. However, once a person reaches adulthood, their eye color is unlikely to change significantly.