1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to solve the following equation (even if I'm not sure if it's well posed)

[tex]\partial_{x} \, y(x) + a(x)\, y(x) = \delta(x) [/tex]

with ##\quad \lim_{x \rightarrow \pm \infty}y(x) = 0##

It would be a classical first order ODE If it were not for the boundary conditions and the Dirac Delta. How should I take account of them?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

One idea might be to integrate over x.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    I'm not sure, what you meant....I would get some kind of integral equation ..

5. Mar 9, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Right - often solutions will involve an integral of some sort.
    Can you solve the homogeneous problem ## y_x + ay = 0?##
    Then, for the dirac delta, you enforce continuity in the function at x=0, and a jump condition in the first derivative at x=0.

6. Mar 9, 2015 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a classical ODE except for what must happen at x=0. y(x) must have a jump discontinuity at x=0 assuming a(x) is regular function. Just solve y'(x)+a(x)*y(x)=0 in the domains x>0 and x<0 and patch in the discontinuity.

7. Mar 9, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

Right...thanks Dick. Sorry for the error in my last post. First order ODE has jump in the 0th derivative, i.e. the function itself. I have been spending too much time in 2nd order problems.

8. Mar 9, 2015 #7
    Thanks, following your hint this is I would go:

if ##y_{\pm}## solve ##y'_{\pm}(x)+a(x)*y_{\pm}(x)=0## in ## \pm x> 0## then ##y_{\pm} = C_{\pm} \, e^{-A_{\pm}(x)} ## and a solution is given by

[tex] y(x) = y_{-}(x) + H(x) (u_{+}(x) - u_{-}(x)) [/tex]

where

[tex] A_{+}(x) = \int_{0^{+}}^{x} a(z) dz [/tex]

[tex] A_{-}(x) = \int_{x}^{0^{-}} a(z) dz [/tex]

and ##H(x)## is the Heaviside step function.

Now I need a jump of one in 0, so I impose ##C_{+} - C_{-} = 1##

How do I fix the remaining constant? Moreover I guess that at infinity ##A_{\pm}(x)## has to blow up

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you want to reverse the limits in your definition of ##A_{-}(x)##. But otherwise, I generally agree. I don't think you have enough information to fix the constants any better than that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. Mar 10, 2015 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Dirac delta right-hand-side is exactly what you would use when calculating a Green's Function. Since ##\delta(x) = 0## when ##x \neq 0##, you need ##y'(x) + a(x) y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0## and for ##x > 0##. If you integrate the de from ##-\epsilon## to ##+\epsilon##, you get
    [tex] \int_{-\epsilon}^{+\epsilon} y'(x) \, dx + \int_{-\epsilon}^{+\epsilon} a(x) y(x) \, dx = 1.[/tex]
    If ##y(x)## is bounded around ##x = 0##, the second term above vanishes in the limit ##\epsilon \to 0##, while the first term is ##y(+\epsilon) - y(-\epsilon)##, which approaches ##y(+0) - y(-0)## as ##\epsilon \to 0##. In other words, ##y(x)## has a jump discontinuity of magnitude 1 as ##x## passes from left to right through 0.

11. Mar 10, 2015 #10
    Thanks, that's what I thought!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted