ODE with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a first order ODE with boundary conditions and a Dirac Delta as the right-hand side. It is suggested to use a Green's Function to solve for the solution, and it is mentioned that the solution will have a jump discontinuity at the point where the Dirac Delta is located. The conversation also mentions that there is not enough information to determine the constants in the solution.
Gallo
I'm trying to solve the following equation (even if I'm not sure if it's well posed)

[tex]\partial_{x} \, y(x) + a(x)\, y(x) = \delta(x) [/tex]

with ##\quad \lim_{x \rightarrow \pm \infty}y(x) = 0##

It would be a classical first order ODE If it were not for the boundary conditions and the Dirac Delta. How should I take account of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
One idea might be to integrate over x.

RUber said:
One idea might be to integrate over x.

I'm not sure, what you meant...I would get some kind of integral equation ..

Right - often solutions will involve an integral of some sort.
Can you solve the homogeneous problem ## y_x + ay = 0?##
Then, for the dirac delta, you enforce continuity in the function at x=0, and a jump condition in the first derivative at x=0.

Gallo said:
I'm not sure, what you meant...I would get some kind of integral equation ..

It is a classical ODE except for what must happen at x=0. y(x) must have a jump discontinuity at x=0 assuming a(x) is regular function. Just solve y'(x)+a(x)*y(x)=0 in the domains x>0 and x<0 and patch in the discontinuity.

Dick said:
It is a classical ODE except for what must happen at x=0. y(x) must have a jump discontinuity at x=0 assuming a(x) is regular function. Just solve y'(x)+a(x)*y(x)=0 in the domains x>0 and x<0 and patch in the discontinuity.
Right...thanks Dick. Sorry for the error in my last post. First order ODE has jump in the 0th derivative, i.e. the function itself. I have been spending too much time in 2nd order problems.

Dick said:

Thanks, following your hint this is I would go:

if ##y_{\pm}## solve ##y'_{\pm}(x)+a(x)*y_{\pm}(x)=0## in ## \pm x> 0## then ##y_{\pm} = C_{\pm} \, e^{-A_{\pm}(x)} ## and a solution is given by

[tex] y(x) = y_{-}(x) + H(x) (u_{+}(x) - u_{-}(x)) [/tex]

where

[tex] A_{+}(x) = \int_{0^{+}}^{x} a(z) dz [/tex]

[tex] A_{-}(x) = \int_{x}^{0^{-}} a(z) dz [/tex]

and ##H(x)## is the Heaviside step function.

Now I need a jump of one in 0, so I impose ##C_{+} - C_{-} = 1##

How do I fix the remaining constant? Moreover I guess that at infinity ##A_{\pm}(x)## has to blow up

Gallo said:
Thanks, following your hint this is I would go:

if ##y_{\pm}## solve ##y'_{\pm}(x)+a(x)*y_{\pm}(x)=0## in ## \pm x> 0## then ##y_{\pm} = C_{\pm} \, e^{-A_{\pm}(x)} ## and a solution is given by

[tex] y(x) = y_{-}(x) + H(x) (u_{+}(x) - u_{-}(x)) [/tex]

where

[tex] A_{+}(x) = \int_{0^{+}}^{x} a(z) dz [/tex]

[tex] A_{-}(x) = \int_{x}^{0^{-}} a(z) dz [/tex]

and ##H(x)## is the Heaviside step function.

Now I need a jump of one in 0, so I impose ##C_{+} - C_{-} = 1##

How do I fix the remaining constant? Moreover I guess that at infinity ##A_{\pm}(x)## has to blow up

I don't think you want to reverse the limits in your definition of ##A_{-}(x)##. But otherwise, I generally agree. I don't think you have enough information to fix the constants any better than that.

Last edited:
Gallo said:
I'm trying to solve the following equation (even if I'm not sure if it's well posed)

[tex]\partial_{x} \, y(x) + a(x)\, y(x) = \delta(x) [/tex]

with ##\quad \lim_{x \rightarrow \pm \infty}y(x) = 0##

It would be a classical first order ODE If it were not for the boundary conditions and the Dirac Delta. How should I take account of them?

The Dirac delta right-hand-side is exactly what you would use when calculating a Green's Function. Since ##\delta(x) = 0## when ##x \neq 0##, you need ##y'(x) + a(x) y(x) = 0## for ##x < 0## and for ##x > 0##. If you integrate the de from ##-\epsilon## to ##+\epsilon##, you get
[tex] \int_{-\epsilon}^{+\epsilon} y'(x) \, dx + \int_{-\epsilon}^{+\epsilon} a(x) y(x) \, dx = 1.[/tex]
If ##y(x)## is bounded around ##x = 0##, the second term above vanishes in the limit ##\epsilon \to 0##, while the first term is ##y(+\epsilon) - y(-\epsilon)##, which approaches ##y(+0) - y(-0)## as ##\epsilon \to 0##. In other words, ##y(x)## has a jump discontinuity of magnitude 1 as ##x## passes from left to right through 0.

Likes Gallo
Dick said:
I don't think you want to reverse the limits in your definition of ##A_{-}(x)##. But otherwise, I generally agree. I don't think you have enough information to fix the constants any better than that.
Thanks, that's what I thought!

1. What is an ODE with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity is a type of differential equation that includes a Dirac Delta function and specifies conditions for the solution at infinity. The Dirac Delta function is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. This type of ODE is used to model physical systems with concentrated forces or impulses, such as a particle with a sudden change in velocity.

2. What are the applications of ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity?

ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model physical systems with sudden changes or impulses, such as collisions, explosions, or switches. They are also useful in modeling distributed forces, such as a beam with a concentrated load at a point. Additionally, they can be used to solve problems in heat transfer, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics.

3. How are ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity solved?

Solving ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity involves using techniques from both ordinary differential equations and advanced calculus. The Dirac Delta function is often treated as a distribution, and the conditions at infinity are usually handled with the use of the Laplace transform. Solving these types of ODEs can be challenging and may require numerical methods in some cases.

4. Can ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity have multiple solutions?

Yes, ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity can have multiple solutions. This is because the Dirac Delta function is not a traditional function and can take on different values depending on how it is defined. Additionally, the conditions at infinity may not uniquely determine the solution, leading to multiple possible solutions. In these cases, the solution may need to be chosen based on physical or mathematical considerations.

5. What are some common challenges in working with ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity?

Solving ODEs with Dirac Delta and conditions at infinity can be challenging due to the non-traditional nature of the Dirac Delta function and the complex mathematical techniques involved. Additionally, the solutions may not always be unique, leading to the need for careful interpretation and selection of the solution. Working with these types of ODEs also requires a solid understanding of advanced calculus and differential equations.