Off Topic: Do PF Posts ever go Viral or make Local/State/National News

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether certain events have happened, when they occurred, and why. The participants mention a particular story that became national news after being posted on a forum. They also discuss the potential negative consequences of posting personal information online.
rhody
Gold Member
The title pretty much asks the question. Does anyone here know if what I just asked has happened, if so, then when, and more important, why.

DISCUSS ! (Feeling Pengy like this morning, sorry Peng...)

Rhody...

Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
The title pretty much asks the question. Does anyone here know if what I just asked has happened, if so, then when, and more important, why.

DISCUSS ! (Feeling Pengy like this morning, sorry Peng...)

Rhody...

I can think of a couple, but none very recently. Let's make a few! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Here is a perfect https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3572048&postcount=49" that started on MacRumors Forum :redface: and the next day, boom, it hit the national news...

I posted about it in another thread. It is a beauty too, the story that is.

Rhody...
That's not exactly a story for which I'd want PF to receive notoriety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
That's not exactly a story for which I'd want PF to receive notoriety.
I agree Astro, this is an example of how quickly "gossip" news can travel. Greg said he had a few examples, hopefully uplifting ones. Perhaps my story will serve as a warning to young people not to post potentially embarrassing things that could affect them in a negative way in the future.

Rhody...

1. What makes a PF post go viral?

There is no one specific factor that guarantees a PF post will go viral. However, posts that are relatable, emotionally charged, and/or controversial tend to have a higher chance of reaching a wider audience.

2. How do local, state, and national news outlets decide which PF posts to feature?

News outlets typically look for PF posts that are timely, relevant, and have a significant impact on the community or society as a whole. They also consider the credibility and reputation of the source before featuring a PF post.

3. Can PF posts have a positive or negative impact on the reputation of an individual or organization?

Yes, PF posts can have a significant impact on the reputation of individuals or organizations. A viral post can bring positive attention and recognition, while a controversial or negative post can damage a person or organization's image.

4. Is there any way to predict if a PF post will make local, state, or national news?

It is difficult to predict if a PF post will make local, state, or national news as it depends on various factors such as timing, relevance, and media interest. However, posts with a strong and widespread response from the public have a higher chance of being featured in the news.

5. What are the potential consequences of a PF post going viral or making local/state/national news?

The consequences of a PF post going viral or making news can vary. It can bring attention and support to a cause or issue, but it can also result in backlash, criticism, or even legal actions. It is important to consider the potential consequences before sharing a PF post.