1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old Recommendations for Grad School?

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    I'm currently in my third year of undergraduate Physics, and plan to graduate at the end of my fifth year (since I'm doing CO-OP). I'm starting to think about grad schools, one element of which is my faculty recommendations.

I worked in a well known scientist's lab in my first year, first summer, and then again in my second summer (this last one). I'm looking to try and make a good work-relationship with other faculty members at my school, but I'm wondering if after a couple years professors aren't likely to give old recommendations.

By the time I apply to grad schools I will not have worked with this scientist for three years, is that still a common time frame to ask for a recommendation for grad school?

I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself asking them if it isn't common, but I have no idea. I know that that they have a good opinion of me, and know that they would write me a strong recommendation.

Anybody familiar with things like this?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not common, but not unheard of. It would be good if not all the recs were this old.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3
    Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of undergrad work. I had to ask two PI's from prior projects for LoRs, one was only a year old, but the other was two years old. That's just how it is... they know you can't work with three different groups at the time applications are due.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted