Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Old technology foils Schwarzenegger's wage order

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is so pathetic. I don't think the average worker should get their pay cut due to bungling politicians. What I do think is that the people that can't seem to do their job and get this fiasco fixed should have their pay stopped as an incentive to actually do something.

If they weren't government employees, they would have been fired a long time ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_california_budget_minimum_wage [Broken]

1970?? Surely that can't be correct, we'd be talking about ancient mainframes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I bet they could have managed to implement a pay rise

4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    19 billion US dollars. Who spent it all, and on what?

I find this quote quite fitting to the current situation.

"A Democracy cannot survive as a permanent form of government. It can last only until its citizens discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority (who vote) will vote for those candidates promising the greatest benefits from the public purse, with the result that a democracy will always collapse from loose fiscal policies, always followed by a dictatorship." Lord Thomas MacCauley 1857

5. Jul 3, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

California has something of a surplus of democracy.
    To approve a new proposal takes 3men and a dog to vote for it, to remove an existing spending commitment takes a 99% majority vote and the agreement of 3 popes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. Jul 3, 2010 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If it wasn't so close to the truth that would be hysterical.

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6
    To make things worse, the requirements are reversed on tax increases. Er, "revenue enhancing measures".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook