Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oldest Living Person Ever Documented

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/bolivia-records-aymara-herder-123-years-old-202553434.html

One of my grandmothers lived to be 103. She would have gotten to 123, but broke both her hips in her 90's and this forced her to become physically inactive the rest of her life. She went downhill steadily after the bone breaks.

I have to wonder how these long-lived mountain peasants avoid the bone deterioration that leads to hip breaking in the very elderly. Is it simply walking? My grandmother never walked, but she cleaned the house everyday, and did the usual amount of leg use of a homeowner.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it is mobility and daily use. My paternal grandfather lived to 103.5, but the last 6 months, he went downhill quickly after recurring repiratory infections landed him in bed in hospital. During his 3rd severe infection, it was decided not to resuscitate per his wishes. He did not want extraordinary measures and didn't want to live bed-ridden. He survived his wife by more than 20 years, so he was ready to go.

4. Aug 16, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is very unlikely - mortality rates are above 50%/year at the age of 115.

There are many claims of extremely old people. As the age distribution of those is different from the age distribution of the confirmed ages, most of the 120+-claims are probably wrong.

5. Aug 18, 2013 #4
    I think the lady in France was documented at 120 and some years. A lot of age slowing discussion is currently over calorie restrictive diets. The main principle there is that diseases take energy to form (think of hbp or diabetes, more pumping force or pumping greater viscosity takes more calories) and also that eating more is bad for dna by mutations or some mechanism. Her life was unstressful I think. As for diet, she said lots of olive oil "smothered on all her food" was why she lived so well. She also drank red wine, and smoked (I'm not sure what brand) modernity for some time. But I think the main thing to it was being active, and having a guaranteed roof over one's head. I'm sure genes had something to do with it. It's my opinion, not based on any research studies, that the time of being alive is pre determined, and damage by life style or environment is the only shorting factor, i.e. you can't make yourself live longer, but rather die slower. Living to be one hundred would be great, but trying to control what is not in your own ability is not a way to live care free.

6. Aug 19, 2013 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The only currently accepted 120+ claim is that of Jeanne Calment, a French woman from the upper class who was born in 1875, and died in 1997, 122 years and 164 days old.

An earlier 120+ claim is that of Shigechiyo Izumi, who died in 1986, and reputedly born in 1865.
    However, it transpired that he most likely was named after an older brother who had died earlier, and that Izumi was only 105 years old when he died.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook