On differential equations texts

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the right edition of a textbook for a class. The person is seeking advice on whether older editions of the textbook are the same as the current one being used by their professor, in order to save money. They also mention the possibility of purchasing a solutions manual for the book. A website is suggested for finding discounted textbooks. There is also a question about potential differences between editions of other textbooks.
mathematicsma
I have a feeling this is the wrong place to post this. I can never figure out where to put things :confused:

Anyway, my professor uses the 4th edition of Edwards and Penney Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131561073/?tag=pfamazon01-20), and I'm trying to figure out if the older editions (much cheaper) are the same. He assigns homework problems from the problem sets at the end of each section, and I need to have the right ones. If anyone here has any experience with this book, I'd appreciate it.

Alternatively, I can get the solutions manual to the book, and I'll have the problems from there, provided that a) it includes all the problems, and b) it says the questions, not just the answers.

I'm not getting the book to learn from--I've got plenty of good materials (in print and online), I just need the homeworks, and I'd prefer not to spend over $100 if I can help it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might try http://bigwords.com" that are 33%-50% off the list price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I didn't know about that site, I might actually use it. Does anyone know anything about the differences between the different editions?

I have used books (Calculus -Larson, for example) where there are absolutely no changes from one edition to the next other than nicer graphics. Even pagination is the same.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions to their derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. What is the purpose of studying differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They provide a powerful tool for understanding how systems change and evolve over time.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear, first-order and higher-order, and homogeneous and nonhomogeneous differential equations.

4. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and series solutions. Numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods are also commonly used.

5. How can I apply differential equations in my research or work?

Differential equations can be applied in many areas, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing economic systems. If you are working in a field that involves understanding and predicting changes over time, learning about differential equations can be valuable in your research or work.