Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On limit of function and proof of chain rule

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    Definition of 'Limit of function (f) at x=p'

Let E be domain of f and p be a limit point of E. Let Y be the range of f.

If there exists q∈E such that for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that for all t∈E for which d(t,p)<δ implies d(f(t),q)<ε. Then we say that f(t)->q as t->p.

1) Suppose f is continuous on [a,b] and g is defined on an interval I which contains the range of f.
    Since f is continuous on [a,b] for any x in [a,b], as t->x, f(t)->f(x).
    Let s be an element of I. Then can we say that as t->x. s->f(x)?

2) Suppose f is continuous on [a.b], f'(x) exists at some point x in [a,b]. g is defined on an
    interval I which contains the range of f and g is differentiable at the point f(x).
    This is what i want to prove: g'(f(x))=g'(f(x))f'(x)

This is what i have tried:
    [g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[t-x]= [g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[f(t)-f(x)] * [f(t)-f(x)]/[t-x]
    Letting t->x, we see that f(t)->f(x). Thus, g'(f(x))= g'(f(x)) * f'(x)
    Is something wrong with this proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't make sense to write s→f(x). For example, if I=[0,4], s=3 and f(x)=5, this would say that 3→5.

This is a good way to guess what the result will be, but it's not a proof. To say that ##f(t)\to f(x)## as ##t\to x## is to say that f has a limit at x, and that limit is f(x). This is a statement about f, so you can't immediately conclude that it ensures that ##\frac{g\circ f-g(f(x))}{f-f(x)}## has a limit at x.

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3
    In here, I must contain the range of f, thus f(x) cannot be 5. And also, s does not refer to specific number in I, like t in t->x

5. Sep 7, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right. My mistake. So let me correct my example: If I=[0,6], s=3 and f(x)=5, this would say that 3→5

You said "Let s be an element of I". That comment makes it a specific number in I (assuming that I is a set of numbers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook