Did I Throw Away A Valuable Resource? Biochar From Used Aquarium Carbon?

• Thread starter BigDon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of biochar as a fertilizer, which has been used by South Americans for centuries. Many people are hesitant to use it due to the process of soaking charcoal in urine for a month. However, the individual realizes that used activated carbon from aquariums is perfect for creating biochar. This leads to the idea of repurposing waste materials for a useful purpose. The conversation also briefly mentions a movie scene involving urine as a medicine and shares a humorous video reference.
BigDon
As an avid gardener and aquarist I felt like a colossal fool after reading on the subject of a near permanent fertilizer, biochar. Used by South Americans for millennia. A lot of people balk at using it because soaking charcoal in urine for a month seems a bit outre to them.

And while reading this I began to kick myself hard for all of the used activated carbon I threw away during the course of my three decades of fish keeping. Used aquarium activated carbon is *perfect* biochar material!

So here is my attempt to leave the world a better place than when I found it. By connecting a former waste stream to something incredibly useful.

Thank you, that is all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biochar

• Informative
Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
Your post on urie uses reminded me of the Sean Connery movie Medicine Man where the shaman applied urine to some bark to make some sort of analgesic for a patient. (I think that was the scene but I couldn't find a reference)

I did find this funny video reference that may bring tears to your eyes:

1. What is biochar and how is it made from used aquarium carbon?

Biochar is a type of charcoal that is produced through the process of pyrolysis, which involves heating organic materials, such as used aquarium carbon, in the absence of oxygen. This results in a highly porous and stable form of carbon that can be used as a soil amendment.

2. What are the benefits of using biochar from used aquarium carbon?

Biochar has several benefits, including improving soil fertility, increasing water retention, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. It also has the ability to sequester carbon in the soil for hundreds or even thousands of years.

3. How do I know if the biochar from my used aquarium carbon is safe to use?

It is important to properly clean and prepare the used aquarium carbon before using it to make biochar. This involves removing any chemical residues or harmful substances that may be present. It is also recommended to have the biochar tested for contaminants before use.

4. Can biochar from used aquarium carbon be used for any type of plant?

Yes, biochar from used aquarium carbon can be used for a wide range of plants, including vegetables, fruits, and flowers. It can also be used in different types of soil, such as sandy or clay soils.

5. How can I incorporate biochar from used aquarium carbon into my gardening or farming practices?

There are several ways to incorporate biochar into gardening or farming practices. It can be mixed into the soil, added to compost, or used as a top dressing. It can also be used in combination with other fertilizers or amendments for optimal results.

Back