One 160 kW motor vs two 129 kW motors

In summary, the two machines have different power configurations, with one having a single 160 kW motor and the other having two 129 kW motors. The efficiency and productivity of the machines would depend on various factors such as the load, speed, and maintenance. It is difficult to determine which machine would be better without considering all these factors. However, in terms of power consumption, the machine with two motors would consume more power due to its higher peak output. The efficiency and wear and tear would also depend on the speed at which the machines are operated.
GANESH SHETTI
This is related to steel wire pulling machine. I have 2 cases.
In CASE-1: ONE MOTOR 160 kW
AND
CASE-2: TWO MOTORS 129 kW Each. i.e 2x129 kW

Which case would have an efficient pulling force and efficiency Case 1 or Case 2.

Engineering news on Phys.org
GANESH SHETTI said:
This is related to steel wire pulling machine. I have 2 cases.
In CASE-1: ONE MOTOR 160 kW
AND
CASE-2: TWO MOTORS 129 kW Each. i.e 2x129 kW

Which case would have an efficient pulling force and efficiency Case 1 or Case 2.
I'm not sure efficiency is really what you are after...

Are they operating the machine at tthe same speed? In general a motor is at its highest efficiency near it's highest load, so one motor would tend to be more efficient with all else being equal.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure efficiency is really what you are after...

Are they operating the machine at tthe same speed? In general a motor is at its highest efficiency near it's highest load, so one motor would tend to be more efficient with all else being equal.

Let us assume same speed. which case is better in terms of pulling force and productivity and maintenance. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
GANESH SHETTI said:
Let us assume same speed. which case is better in terms of pulling force and productivity and maintenance. Thank you
The two motors would be capable of more torque, but the torque is applied by the load. Are you changing the load? How can productivity change if speed isn't changing?

Well... what kind of motor we are talking about? Electric?

A rotating block/capstan is mounted on a bearing. The motor rotates the block and the block pulls the steel wire. The speed of the motor can be controlled by a regulator/control system. In machine number 1 I have 1 Block/motor (160 kW) pulling the steel wire and is machine number 2 I have 2 blocks/motors (129 kW each) pulling the steel wire. How can I conclude which machine would be better.

One point is that power consumption by the 2 motors will be more. I am concerned about the wear and tear, will it be less or more because of 2 motors.

Rive said:
Well... what kind of motor we are talking about? Electric?
Electric motors

russ_watters said:
The two motors would be capable of more torque, but the torque is applied by the load. Are you changing the load? How can productivity change if speed isn't changing?
A rotating block/capstan is mounted on a bearing. The motor rotates the block and the block pulls the steel wire. The speed of the motor can be controlled by a regulator/control system. In machine number 1 I have 1 Block/motor (160 kW) pulling the steel wire and in machine number 2 I have 2 blocks/motors (129 kW each) pulling the steel wire. How can I conclude which machine would be better.

One point is that power consumption by the 2 motors will be more.
I am concerned about the wear and tear, will it be less or more because of 2 motors.

Last edited:
GANESH SHETTI said:
A rotating block/capstan is mounted on a bearing. The motor rotates the block and the block pulls the steel wire. The speed of the motor can be controlled by a regulator/control system. In machine number 1 I have 1 Block/motor (160 kW) pulling the steel wire and in machine number 2 I have 2 blocks/motors (129 kW each) pulling the steel wire. How can I conclude which machine would be better.
Are you running the two machines at different speeds?
One point is that power consumption by the 2 motors will be more.
What makes you say that?
I am concerned about the wear and tear, will it be less or more because of 2 motors.
Again, it depends on if you run them at different speeds or if the 160kw motor is undersized.

Last edited:
What makes you say that? Answer: there are 2 motors 129 kW each...129+129=258 kW which is less than 160 kW.

Again, it depends on if you run them at different speeds or if the 160kw motor is undersized. Answer: 129+129 kW motor VERSUS 160 kW motor. Ok so if you consider speed which machine would be ideal for high speed at long run.

GANESH SHETTI said:
What makes you say that? Answer: there are 2 motors 129 kW each...129+129=258 kW which is less than 160 kW.

Again, it depends on if you run them at different speeds or if the 160kw motor is undersized. Answer: 129+129 kW motor VERSUS 160 kW motor. Ok so if you consider speed which machine would be ideal for high speed at long run.
The kw rating is the peak output mechanical power the motor can provide. It has very little to do with the actual operating input electrical kw. The actual operating input electrical kw depends primarily on the actual operating mechanical output kw.

The reason the ratings are odd numbers is they are conversions from horsepower: 129 kw is 175 horsepower. Output. And it will draw a peak electrical input of about 140 kw.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The kw rating is the peak output mechanical power the motor can provide. It has very little to do with the actual operating input electrical kw. The actual operating input electrical kw depends primarily on the actual operating mechanical output kw.

The reason the ratings are odd numbers is they are conversions from horsepower: 129 kw is 175 horsepower. Output. And it will draw a peak electrical input of about 140 kw.

What is the concluding factor for these machines?

GANESH SHETTI said:
What is the concluding factor for these machines?
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you rephrase and be more descriptive?

russ_watters said:
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you rephrase and be more descriptive?

Machine A --- 160 kW motor power --- One motor --- pulling 8 mm steel wire at 7 meter/second speed --- working 20 hours/day --- 25 days/month --- producing 2700 tonnes/month (given by manufacturer)

Machine B --- 129 + 129 kW motor power --- Two motors --- pulling 8 mm steel wire at 7 meter/second speed --- working 20 hours/day --- 25 days/month --- producing 2900 tonnes/month (given by manufacturer)

Which Machine is the better. what other information do i require to make an excellent comparison report. thank you

GANESH SHETTI said:
what other information do i require to make an excellent comparison report.
From the data you have supplied, just keep a spare motor (and other parts) for either machine.

Other things to consider: are parts easily available, how easy are they to repair, cost of employee training, what is the reputation of the manufacturer, is on-site factory service available.

Also consider the total cost of purchase, including cost of capital, any modifications to your building, and the expected life of the machine, against the 7% difference in product output.

Overall, this is largely a business decision with input from Engineering... and no one here is in your business environment.

GANESH SHETTI said:
Machine A --- 160 kW motor power --- One motor --- pulling 8 mm steel wire at 7 meter/second speed --- working 20 hours/day --- 25 days/month --- producing 2700 tonnes/month (given by manufacturer)

Machine B --- 129 + 129 kW motor power --- Two motors --- pulling 8 mm steel wire at 7 meter/second speed --- working 20 hours/day --- 25 days/month --- producing 2900 tonnes/month (given by manufacturer)

Which Machine is the better. what other information do i require to make an excellent comparison report. thank you
If you are just asking about energy use, ask the manufacturers what the operating electrical load is.

...also since the calculations are the same but have a different answer, you should check their calculations. How much does an 8mm steel wire weigh per meter? Perhaps there is a hidden assumption or rounding difference.

...you could also directly ask the manufacturers why their one/two motor design is better and see what they say.

Likes PaulK2
GANESH SHETTI said:
In both cases, an 8mm diameter wire is being pulled at 7 metres per second, for 25 days per month.
You should explain why one machine produces 2700 and the other 2900 tonne per month.

You need to find out how much power is actually needed to pull the 8mm wire at 7 metres per second. Do you have one you can measure ?

You need to find the relationship between load in kW and slip % below synchronous speed for the available motors.

Likes PaulK2
What's the tension in the wire? I think with that and the velocity you can calculate the load.

Can you measure the power consumption of the two machines? With that info it should be possible to calculate and compare the efficiency of the two machines.

I think it will be difficult to say which will require less maintenance. I think you would need to know what the load is on the bearings and what effect the manufacturer thinks that will have in bearing life. Do the smaller motors have smaller bearings?

1. How do the power outputs of one 160 kW motor and two 129 kW motors compare?

One 160 kW motor has a higher power output than two 129 kW motors combined. The total power output of two 129 kW motors is 258 kW, which is 98 kW more than the single 160 kW motor.

2. Which is more efficient, using one 160 kW motor or two 129 kW motors?

In terms of efficiency, using one 160 kW motor is more efficient than using two 129 kW motors. This is because a single motor means less energy is being wasted in the conversion process, resulting in higher overall efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using one 160 kW motor over two 129 kW motors?

Using one 160 kW motor has several advantages over using two 129 kW motors. These include lower maintenance costs, higher efficiency, and less space and weight requirements.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using one 160 kW motor compared to two 129 kW motors?

One potential disadvantage of using one 160 kW motor is the lack of redundancy. If the single motor fails, there is no backup option, whereas with two motors, one can still function if the other fails. Additionally, the initial cost of a single 160 kW motor may be higher than two 129 kW motors.

5. Can one 160 kW motor and two 129 kW motors be used interchangeably?

In most cases, one 160 kW motor and two 129 kW motors cannot be used interchangeably. This is because they have different power outputs and may have different specifications and requirements. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate motor for a specific application.