1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation

1. Nov 2, 2017 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following question and its solution is from Bergersen's and Plischke's:
    Equation (3.38) is:
    $$m = \frac{\sinh (\beta h)}{\sqrt{\sinh^2(\beta h) + e^{-4\beta J}}}$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    They provide the solution in their solution manual which I don't understand how did they come to it.

I hope I don't have a typo.

After that they are equating between ##\sigma_0## and ##\sigma_1## and solve for ##z##,

My problem is how to derive the above three equations, (3.2) and (3.3), I'm lost.[/quote]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2017 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

4. Nov 8, 2017 #3
    I don't have a copy of your text but the Bethe approximation considers a cluster of a central spin ##\sigma_0## in an external field h, and two surrounding spins (in the 1-s Ising model), in an effective field h', which mimics the remaining crystalline lattice. The spin Hamiltonian of this cluster is:$$\mathcal H_c=\mathcal J\sigma_0 \left (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2 \right ) - h\sigma_0 -h'\left (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2 \right )$$
    and the partition function of this cluster is:$$\mathcal Z_c=\sum_{ \sigma_i } exp\left (-\beta \mathcal H_c \right )$$
    The spins in the sum can take the values +1 or -1. Using the notation from your book construct the following table:
    ##\sigma_0## ##\sigma_1## ##\sigma_2## ##\mathcal Z_c##
    ## 1## ## 1## ## 1## ## xyz##
    ## 1## ## -1## ## 1## ## x##
    ## 1## ## 1## ## -1## ## x##
    ## 1## ## -1## ## -1## ## xy^{-1}z^{-1}##
    ## -1## ## 1## ## 1## ## x^{-1}y^{-1}z##
    ## -1## ## -1## ## 1## ## x^{-1}##
    ## -1## ## 1## ## -1## ## x^{-1}##
    ## -1## ## -1## ## -1## ## x^{-1}yz^{-1}##
    Having found ##\mathcal Z_c## I assume you can calculate:
    $$ < \sigma_0 >=\frac {1} {\beta}\frac {\partial ln \mathcal Z_c} {\partial h}$$
    and
    $$ < \sigma_1 >=\frac {1} {\beta}\frac {\partial ln \mathcal Z_c} {\partial h'}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted