What is the Bethe Approximation for a One-Dimensional Ising Model?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approximation
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the partition function for a lattice with coordination number ##q##. The lattice is assumed to have a central spin and its nearest-neighbor shell, with the remainder of the lattice acting on this shell through an effective exchange field. The energy of the central cluster can be written in terms of the central spin and its shell. The partition function of the cluster is then given by a sum over all possible configurations of the lattice. The conversation includes a discussion of the notation and steps for calculating the partition function, with an example given for the case of two nearest neighbors.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We suppose that the lattice has coordination number ##q## and now retain as variables a central spin and its shell of nearest neighbors. The remainder of the lattice is assumed to
act on the nearest-neighbor shell through an effective exchange field which we
will calculate self-consistently. The energy of the central cluster can be written
as
$$ H_c = -J\sigma_0 \sum_{j=1}^q \sigma_j -h\sigma_0-h'\sum_{j=1}^q \sigma_j$$

The fluctuating field acting on the peripheral spins ##\sigma_1,\ldots , \sigma_4##
has been replaced by an effective field ##h'##, just as we previously replaced the interaction of ##\sigma_0## with its first neighbor shell by a mean energy.
The partition function of the cluster is given by:

$$Z_c = \sum_{\sigma_j=\pm 1} e^{-\beta H_c} = e^{\beta h} \bigg( 2\cosh [\beta(J+h')]\bigg)^q + e^{-\beta h} \bigg(2\cosh [ \beta (J-h')]\bigg)^q$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how to do this calculation of ##Z_c##, I need somehow to separate between ##\sigma_j=1## and ##\sigma_j=-1##, and what with ##\sigma_0##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And to tell you the truth this notation as a mathematician seems absurd to me, the index ##j## is inside the sums of spins in the argument of the exponential, and you are summing over ##\sigma_j## outside it?!

That's look like an awful abuse of notation.

In ##Z_c## the summation ##\sum\limits_{\sigma_j=\pm 1}## means ##\sum\limits_{\sigma_0=\pm 1} \sum\limits_{\sigma_1=\pm 1} \sum\limits_{\sigma_2=\pm 1}...##

It might be a good idea to write out explicitly the case where there are only 2 nearest neighbors (##q## = 2). Begin by writing out explicitly ##H_c## with no summation symbols.

Last edited:
Ok, Let's first work out the notation.
The partition function can be thought of as merely an normalization of some distribution function, as such, we always must sum over all possible configurations.
The lattice in the above example is comprised of ##N## sites, each has the value ##\pm 1##. I t is convenient to define a set ##\sigma## that has ##N## elements corresponding with eace site. Note that there are ##2^N## different sets that can described a physical configuration,

Our Hamiltonian is a "functional" of the "field" ##\sigma##, by that I mean that the functional associates an energy value for each configuration. More formally, the Hamiltonian is a map from the space of all possible configuration to the space of all possible energy levels ##H:\{\sigma\}\to \{E\}##, where I just introduced the notation ##\{\sigma\}## for the space of all possible configuration (which is a set of ##2^N## sets of size ##N##) , and similarly for the space of all possible energy levels.

Now, as mentioned above, in order to get the right partition function we must sum over all possible configurations and thus our partition function is always defined as,
$$Z=\sum_{\{\sigma\}}e^{-\beta H[\sigma]}$$.
The simplest example would be to show the above for the case of two sites,
$$Z_2=\sum_{\{\sigma\}}e^{-\beta H[\sigma]}=e^{-\beta H[\{+,+\}]}+e^{-\beta H[\{-,+\}]}+e^{-\beta H[\{+,-\}]}+e^{-\beta H[\{-,-\}]}$$.

We shall next try to actually calculate the above partition function.
If I understand correctly, we are looking at the site ##\sigma_0## and it's ##q## neighbours.
For a clearer treatment I will define
$$ H_c[\sigma_0,\sigma]=-h \sigma_0-\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\sum_{j=1}^q\sigma_i.$$
The partition function will be
$$Z_c=\sum_{\sigma_0=\pm1}\sum_{\{\sigma\}}e^{-\beta H_c[\sigma_0,\sigma]}\equiv\sum_{\sigma_0=\pm1}Z_0[\sigma_0].$$
From the above lines we find,
$$Z_0[\sigma_0]=\sum_{\{\sigma\}}e^{-\beta H_c[\sigma_0,\sigma]}=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\sum_{\{\sigma\}}\exp\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\sum_{j=1}^q\sigma_i\right\}.$$
Since the exponent of a sum is just the multiplication of exponents, we can rewrite the partition function as,
$$Z_0[\sigma_0]=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\sum_{\{\sigma\}}\prod_{j=1}^q\exp\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\sigma_i\right\}.$$
Now come the tricky part, since each term in this multiplication is independent of the other terms we can replace the product and the sum in the following way,
$$Z_0[\sigma_0]=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\prod_{j=1}^q\sum_{\sigma_j=\pm 1}\exp\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\sigma_i\right\}=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\prod_{j=1}^q2\cosh\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\right\}.$$
We see now that we are multiplying ##q## identical terms, and so we get the nice (almost) final answer,
$$Z_0[\sigma_0]=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\cosh^q\left[\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\right].$$
Now we just need to sum over ##\sigma_0=\pm1## to find that,
$$Z_c=e^{\beta h}\cosh^q\left[\beta\left(J+h'\right)\right]+e^{-\beta h}\cosh^q\left[\beta\left(J-h'\right)\right]$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Looks very good to me.

Thanks Nadav!

But shouldn't we have it:
$$
Z_0[\sigma_0]=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\prod_{i=1}^q\sum_{\sigma_i=\pm 1}\exp\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\sigma_i\right\}=e^{\beta h \sigma_0}\prod_{j=1}^q2\cosh\left\{\beta\left(J \sigma_0+h'\right)\right\}.
$$

As in your LHS you should be summing over ##\sigma_i## and not ##\sigma_j## as you wrote, in which case I can see how you get the ##2\cosh(\ldots )##.

BTW, if both of you are interested there's another question I posted here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/one-dimensional-ising-model-in-bethe-approximation.930327/

What is the Bethe Approximation?

The Bethe Approximation is a method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the energy levels of a multi-electron atom. It is named after theoretical physicist Hans Bethe who first developed this approach in the 1920s.

How does the Bethe Approximation work?

The Bethe Approximation uses a combination of classical and quantum mechanics to estimate the energy levels of an atom. It takes into account the interactions between the electrons and the nucleus, as well as the repulsion between the electrons themselves. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the atom's energy levels than simpler methods like the Bohr model.

What are the limitations of the Bethe Approximation?

While the Bethe Approximation is more accurate than other methods, it still has its limitations. It only works for atoms with one or two electrons in the outermost shell, and it does not take into account more complex interactions between electrons. It also does not account for relativistic effects, which become more significant for heavier elements.

Why is the Bethe Approximation important?

The Bethe Approximation is important because it provides a more accurate understanding of the electronic structure of atoms. This is crucial for many fields, such as chemistry and materials science, where the properties of a material are directly related to its atomic structure. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced theories and calculations in quantum mechanics.

What are some applications of the Bethe Approximation?

The Bethe Approximation has been used in various fields to study the electronic structure of atoms, including atomic physics, solid state physics, and astrophysics. It has also been applied to understand the behavior of molecules and chemical reactions. Additionally, the Bethe Approximation has been used to improve the accuracy of other theories and calculations in quantum mechanics.