1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One-Dimentional Kinematics Question

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Two cars drive on a straight highway. At time t = 0, car 1 passes mile marker 0 traveling due east with a speed of 20.0 m/s. At the same time, car 2 is 1.0 km east of mile marker 0 traveling at 30.0 m/s due west. Car 1 is speeding up with an acceleration of magnitude 2.5 m/s^2, and car 2 is slowing down with an acceleration of magnitude 3.2 m/s^2. Write x-versus-t equations of motion for both cars"

2. Relevant equations

The equation I used was X = Xi + ViT + 1/2 AT^2

Sorry, I'm bad at typing these equations without subscripts or superscripts.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the equation right for Car 1. However, when I went to solve for Car two, it did not match with the answer key. I plugged in all of the relevant information into the equation:

X = 1000m + (-30 m/s)t + 1/2(3.2 m/s^2)t^2 = 1000m + (-30 m/s)t + (1.6 m/s^2)t^2

Since Car 2 is going towards the 0 marker, the velocity should be zero. However, in order for there to be deceleration, accerleration and velocity should have opposite signs. Since velocity is negative, I made acceleration positive.

However, this doesn't match the textbook answer, which is X = 1000m - (-30 m/s)t - (1.6 m/s)t^2

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about starting with two separate equations (as the problem suggests), one for each car. Fill in the blanks

x1 =

x2 =

Then it should be clearer what you're doing.

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    Hm...the textbook answer looks wrong; inserting t=1, we would get X = 1028.4m > 1000m, which is clearly not possible given that the car is heading towards the 0 mark.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4
    Basically, the first one is simple enough to do without any trouble, and it's the second car that I'm having trouble with. To clear things up:

What I did for Car 1:

x1 = xi + vit + 1/2 at2
    x1 = 0 m + (20 m/s)t + 1/2(2.5 m/s2)t2
    x1= (20 m/s)t + (1.25 m/s2)t2

This answer matched with the textbook answer, so I didn't have any trouble for the first one. I simply plugged in the givens into the equation.

What I did for Car 2:

x2 = 1000m + (-30 m/s)t + 1/2(3.2 m/s2)t2
    x2= 1000m + (-30 m/s)t + (1.6 m/s2)t2

My reasoning: Since Car 2 is going towards the 0 marker, the velocity should be zero. However, in order for there to be deceleration, accerleration and velocity should have opposite signs. Since velocity is negative, I made acceleration positive.

textbook answer is X2 = 1000m - (-30 m/s)t - (1.6 m/s)t2

Am I doing things incorrectly or is this a textbook error?

Edit: Just saw the above post. Thanks for the response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook