One mass strikes and sticks to another mass atatched to a spring

In summary, the problem involves a 20.0 kg mass sliding at 6.0 m/s on a horizontal surface and colliding with a 5.0 kg mass attached to a horizontal spring. The spring has a spring constant of 8000.00 N. To find how far the spring is compressed, the conservation of linear momentum and energy equations can be used. The final velocity of the combined masses is 4.8 m/s and the compression distance of the spring is 0.2683 meters.
loganblacke

Homework Statement

A block of mass 20.0 kg slides without friction at a speed of 6.0 m/s on a horizontal table surface until it strikes and sticks to a mass of 5.o kg attached to a horizontal spring (with a spring constant of k=8000.00 N), which in turn is attached to a wall. How far is the spring compressed before the masses come to rest?

Homework Equations

Kf-Ki = W
W = 1/2Kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ki = 1/2(20kg)(6.0m/s)^2 = 360

I'm not sure how to account for the collision between the 20kg mass and the 5kg mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi loganblacke...

See when its said that the 20kg mass sticks to the 5 kg mass its inelastic collision...
So all you have to do is conserve linear momentum(during the instant in which the collision takes place) ...You will get the initial velocity of the two masses(together as a mass of 25 kg)...Now conserve energy to get your answer...

I'm a little confused on the conserving momentum part, I did find the equation m1u1+m2u2 = (m1+m2)V.

I figured out the equations but my answer is still wrong, V2 = (m1V1)/(m1+m2) = 4.8 m/s. Then i used the equation .5(m1+m2)(V2^2) = .5kx^2 which when solved for x becomes x = sqrt(((m1+m2)*V2^2)/k) = .2683. I'm getting .2683 which is not one of the listed options on the multiple choice question

I don't see any mistake in what we did and even i am getting .2683...I have done similar problems and used the same logic...Are you sure this was the exact question?

What is "One mass strikes and sticks to another mass attached to a spring"?

"One mass strikes and sticks to another mass attached to a spring" is a phenomenon in physics where one object collides with and adheres to another object that is connected to a spring. This can be observed in situations such as a pendulum or a ball bouncing on a surface.

What causes the mass to stick to the other mass?

The mass sticks to the other mass due to the force of impact between the two objects. When the first mass collides with the second, it creates a force that causes the two objects to adhere to each other.

Why does the mass attached to the spring move after the collision?

The mass attached to the spring moves because the force of the collision causes the spring to compress or stretch. This change in the spring's length creates a force that causes the mass to move in the opposite direction.

What factors affect the movement of the masses after the collision?

The movement of the masses after the collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the elasticity of the spring, and the angle and location of the collision.

How is this phenomenon relevant in real-life applications?

This phenomenon is relevant in various real-life applications, such as in sports like billiards or golf, where objects collide and transfer momentum to each other. It is also important in engineering and design, as understanding the principles behind this phenomenon can help improve the performance and safety of structures and machines.