Finding the mass of a block after colliding with a spring

In summary, the problem involves a block with an initial velocity of 10 m/s moving along a frictionless surface and contacting a spring with a spring constant of 350 N/m. The ground underneath the spring applies a friction force of 45 N and the spring compresses 0.75 m before the mass stops. Using the work energy theorem, the work done by friction and the spring can be accounted for in the equation to determine the mass of the block, which is calculated to be 2.64 kg. The work energy theorem can be written in different ways, but it always involves the change in kinetic energy and potential energy, with the work done by non-conservative forces such as friction being accounted for on the left side and
chococho

Homework Statement

A block moves along a frictionless surface with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. It contacts a spring of spring constant 350 N/m. Underneath the spring at and after the point of contact the ground is rough and applies a constant friction force of 45 N. The spring compresses 0.75 m before the mass stops. What is the mass of the block?

Homework Equations

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

Ui and Kf are zero, so I had 1/2mv2 = 45 + 1/2kx2, but I'm not sure where to put the friction force in the equation.
The answer is supposed to be 2.64 kg... Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not conserved in this problem .Apply Work Energy theorem .

That is just Kf - Ki = W, correct? How would I add the spring energy and friction force?

They will be accounted in terms of work done by them .Be careful with the signs.

What will be the work done by friction when the block moves by a distance x ?
What will be the work done by spring when it compresses by a distance x?

oh ok, I got the right answer. Thank you.
So in the work energy theorem, is it always the case that kinetic energy is on one side of the equation and all the other energies are on the other?

You can write work energy theorem in a couple of ways .

1. Kf-Ki = Wnet ,where Wnet is the work done by all the forces including conservative forces like gravitational and the spring force.

2.Wnc = ΔKE+ΔPE , where Wnc is the work done by non conservative forces like friction .On the right side you have the change in mechanical energy .Here the work done by conservative forces are accounted on the right side ,in terms of the potential energy.

1. How do I find the mass of a block after it collides with a spring?

In order to find the mass of the block after a collision with a spring, you will need to know the initial velocity of the block, the spring constant, and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for finding the mass of a block after a collision with a spring?

The equation for finding the mass of a block after a collision with a spring is m = (kx^2)/(2v^2), where m is the mass of the block, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and v is the initial velocity of the block.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for the variables in the equation?

Yes, as long as all of the units are consistent. For example, the displacement and velocity can be measured in meters and the spring constant can be measured in newtons per meter (N/m).

4. Is the mass of the block the same before and after the collision?

In an ideal scenario, the mass of the block will remain the same before and after the collision. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be some energy loss due to friction, resulting in a slightly different mass after the collision.

5. Can this equation be used for any type of collision involving a spring?

No, this equation is specifically for collisions where the block is colliding with a spring. Different types of collisions may require different equations to calculate the mass of an object after the collision.