Only 4 possible single-qbit states?

• Thread starter georgir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary: The problem comes when you want to read the information back out, and you need to distinguish those states. That's where you're really limited to ##2^n## states for ##n## qubits.Superdense coding and quantum teleportation can use and distinguish four states only because they involve two qubits. It's interesting and useful that you can write all four states using just one of the qubits involved in a bell pair, but reading what you wrote still requires combining both qubits and there's no way to make it work without that second qubit around.Personally
georgir
Doesn't quantum teleportation show us that there are in fact at most 4 possible quantum states for a single qbit?
I mean, you are guaranteed to reproduce the completely arbitrary and unknown teleported state by doing one of 4 possible operations with your side of the entangled pair. You can even go ahead and do it at random before you receive the other party's measurement, and you have 25% chance to get it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Four isn't the number of possible states of the qubit, it's the number of ways you have of processing the qubit. Your entangled particle can be any of an infinite number of states before you apply one of the four operations, and no matter which of the four operations you choose, there are an infinite number of possible results.

It's as if I'm sending you a message encrypted with any of four possible keys. The restriction on the number of keys doesn't constrain the number of possible messages.

Likes bhobba
But with one of the 4 operations you are guaranteed to get the original completely arbitrary state, even before it has been teleported yet. You just don't know which of the 4 is needed until then...

georgir said:
But with one of the 4 operations you are guaranteed to get the original completely arbitrary state, even before it has been teleported yet. You just don't know which of the 4 is needed until then...

Right, and that's analogous to saying that when you receive the encrypted message, one of the four possible keys is guaranteed to correctly decrypt it, and you don't know which until you've received the two-bit classical channel message that tells you which one to use. That doesn't mean that there are only four possible messages that I could have sent you. There were an infinite number of messages that I could have encrypted in any of four different ways.

georgir said:
Doesn't quantum teleportation show us that there are in fact at most 4 possible quantum states for a single qbit?

Superdense coding, which transmit 2 bits (i.e. one of four states) via a single pre-entangled qubit, is a much better example of your point than quantum teleportation.

Technically
you can encode any finite number of states into a single qubit, since it has a continuous state space instead of a discrete state space. The problem comes when you want to read the information back out, and you need to distinguish those states. That's where you're really limited to ##2^n## states for ##n## qubits.

Superdense coding and quantum teleportation can use and distinguish four states only because they involve two qubits. It's interesting and useful that you can write all four states using just one of the qubits involved in a bell pair, but reading what you wrote still requires combining both qubits and there's no way to make it work without that second qubit around.

Personally, I often find myself thinking of a qubit as being "worth" up to two bits, but it's important to understand that this is an intuition that breaks down in many cases (e.g. you need pre-existing entanglement).

*edit*: I think I inverted the meaning of your question, and answered "Doesn't QT mean a single qubit can hold 4 distinguishable states?". The answer to your actual question is that it's kind of complicated what you can and can't put in qubits, but we do know that 2 bits per qubit is an absolute maximum when it comes to transmitting classical information over a quantum channel (even with arbitrary pre-existing entanglement). This is different from "qubits can hold at most 4 states" though. The state space of a qubit is continuous, not discrete, and our predictions about how they behave would be wrong if we tried to reduce that down to just 4 points.

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory
Nugatory said:
Right, and that's analogous to saying that when you receive the encrypted message, one of the four possible keys is guaranteed to correctly decrypt it, and you don't know which until you've received the two-bit classical channel message that tells you which one to use. That doesn't mean that there are only four possible messages that I could have sent you. There were an infinite number of messages that I could have encrypted in any of four different ways.

But its not "when you receive the encrypted message". Its well before the message even gets encrypted. You still have 25% chance to get it right back then. 25% chance to get your unknown qbit or "message" exactly right from basically nothing...

Edit: well, "basically nothing" = the promise that in the future you'll mix up your message qbit (i.e. "send" it) with the other end of the entangled pair I used, or some such.

Edit 2: In other words, it's a bit like 25% chance to perform teleportation into the past... I must be missing something.

Last edited:
And yes, I guess this can also be thought of as a variation on superdense coding, since its more or less the same thing in another direction.
Imagine that in superdense coding instead of using the received qbit to do your decode, you use some other qbit. Arbitrary or completely specifically prepared, doesn't matter. You'll get a "decode" that has 25% chance to match the original 2 bits, nothing surprising on first thought. What is surprising though is that in those 25% of cases, your replacement qbit that you used apparently happened to be exactly identical to the one you received and were actually supposed to use. So a random qbit that you chose has 25% chance to turn out to be identical to the one you got sent...

If I think of superdense coding as a quantum teleportation into the past, it creates a closed timelike curve... My head hurts now.

1. What is a single-qbit state?

A single-qbit state refers to the state of a quantum bit, which is the basic unit of quantum information. It is represented by a mathematical vector with complex numbers and can exist in multiple states simultaneously, unlike classical bits which can only exist in either 0 or 1.

2. How many possible single-qbit states are there?

There are four possible single-qbit states, which are represented by the basis vectors |0>, |1>, |+> and |->. These states can be visualized on the Bloch sphere, a geometrical representation of a single qubit's state.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum bits?

Classical bits can only exist in two states, 0 or 1, while quantum bits can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This is due to the principle of superposition in quantum mechanics, where a quantum bit can exist in a combination of states at the same time, until it is measured.

4. How are single-qbit states used in quantum computing?

Single-qbit states are the building blocks of quantum computing. They are manipulated and combined with other qubits to perform complex computations that would be impossible with classical computers. Single-qbit states are also used for quantum teleportation and quantum communication.

5. Can single-qbit states be measured?

Yes, single-qbit states can be measured, but the measurement process will collapse the state to one of the four possible states. This measurement process is essential in quantum computing as it allows us to extract information from the qubit and perform computations based on the measured result.