Performing Bell State Measurement in Teleportation

In summary, the protocol requires Alice to rotate her measurement apparatus to align with the Bell basis. This action changes the state of her qubits, which is then used to perform a unitary operation on Bob's qubits.
ljagerman
Most protocols on Quantum Teleportation (using Alice and Bob as performers) include a crucial step where Alice performs a Bell State Measurement. Usually the applicable math is given in the protocol, but many protocols make the following kind of statement with no explanation: "Alice must rotate her measurement apparatus to align with the Bell basis."

If you can, please clarify
(1) what devices or parts of the apparatus need to be rotated (?? beam splitters, gates, crystals) and where are these devices installed,
(2) how does Alice know by how much to rotate these,
(3) what are the mathematical effects of this action (e.g. how is the superposition changed), and
(4) what is the relationship between this action and the unitary operations Bob must perform to recover the teleported state?

Thank You!
Lou Jagerman

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you link to something actually saying "rotate to align with the Bell basis"? That's a really strange statement, given the nature of the Bell basis.

Anyways, here's a relevant paper and here's a relevant wikipedia article.

Hello,
The source is

http://quantumfrontiers.com/2012/09/17/how-to-build-a-teleportation-machine-teleportation-protocol/

The pertinent quote in the text is "..., Alice rotated her apparatus to align with the Bell basis, and by doing so, the entangled state of her qubits was transformed to what's written above. The pages are not numbered but the paragraph with this quote begins with "This equation may seem beastly..."

As I said in my question, the quantum math (showing the states and such) in this process is (sort of) explained. However, the physical rotation of some device in the experiment is not described at all.

Thanks you your interest! Any help will be appreciated!

Lou

Because the Bell basis involves two qubits, and rotations are usually associated with the state of a single qubit (i.e. the Bloch sphere), I have no idea what physical movement they have in mind when they say "rotate the apparatus to align with the Bell basis". Maybe they just use the word 'rotate' as a stand-in for 'any unitary basis change achieved by equipment'. When I imagine a bell basis measurement I imagine beam splitters and detectors arranged in ways described by the wikipedia article I linked to, or just the raw CNOT+H of quantum logic circuits.

The post you linked to seems overall pretty good to me. I've written similar content in the past. It doesn't really cover much more, but the phrasing will be different: Storing Bandwidth with Quantum Teleportation and Quantum Teleportation's Two Functions. Also you can play with a quantum teleportation circuit in Quirk.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks! I can go on from here. Much appreciated,
Lou

1. What is a Bell State Measurement?

A Bell State Measurement (BSM) is a quantum measurement that determines the state of two qubits (quantum bits) by measuring the correlation between them. It is used in quantum teleportation to determine the state of the qubit being teleported.

2. How is a Bell State Measurement performed?

A BSM is performed by applying a controlled-NOT (CNOT) gate to the two qubits and then measuring the two qubits in the computational basis. This measurement will result in one of four possible outcomes, which correspond to the four Bell states: |00>, |01>, |10>, and |11>.

3. What is the significance of performing a Bell State Measurement in teleportation?

In quantum teleportation, the state of a qubit is transferred from one location to another by using entanglement and a classical communication channel. A BSM is necessary to determine the state of the qubit being teleported, as the act of measuring the correlation between the two entangled qubits will collapse the state of the qubit being teleported into one of the four Bell states.

4. Can a Bell State Measurement be performed on more than two qubits?

Yes, a BSM can be performed on any number of qubits. However, in the context of teleportation, it is typically only performed on two qubits since the state of the qubit being teleported is typically only entangled with one other qubit.

5. Are there any alternative methods to performing a Bell State Measurement in teleportation?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using quantum tomography or using different types of entanglement. However, a BSM is the most commonly used method and has been proven to be highly effective in teleportation protocols.