Only took one upper-level QM course.

• Thread starter Vannay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Qm
In summary, the individual is in the process of applying to graduate schools and is concerned about taking a 400 level Modern Optics course instead of Quantum Mechanics II, which may have put them at a disadvantage for admission to physics graduate programs. They had initially planned to apply for material science programs but have now decided on biophysics. They are wondering if not taking QM II will affect their chances of being admitted. They are also considering taking the second semester of QM in their first term if possible.
Vannay
I'm beginning the wondrous process of applying to graduate schools. Long story short in my last semester of undergrad stuffs I took Modern Optics instead of taking Quantum Mechanics II. Modern Optics is still a 400 level course but at the time I wasn't considering applying to physics graduate programs, only material science. After a while I realized Oh! I actually want to apply to physics programs for biophysics instead. Sooo because of that decision to not take QM II, I'm wondering how much of a set back that put me in. I know it's not horrendous but I'm just wondering how much the admission councils will look at that as a reason not to admit me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

We can't read the minds of admissions committees, but if you are admitted, you might think about taking the 2nd semester undergrad QM in your first term if the schedules work out.

1. What is a "upper-level QM course"?

An upper-level QM course refers to a college-level course in quantum mechanics that is typically taken by students who have already completed introductory courses in physics and mathematics. This course delves deeper into the concepts and mathematical principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Why would someone only take one upper-level QM course?

There could be several reasons why someone would only take one upper-level QM course. It could be that the course was a requirement for their degree program, or they were interested in learning more about the topic but did not want to pursue it further. It could also be that they wanted to gain a general understanding of quantum mechanics without specializing in it.

3. What topics are typically covered in an upper-level QM course?

An upper-level QM course typically covers advanced topics such as quantum states, wave functions, operators, measurement, and entanglement. It may also cover more complex concepts such as quantum field theory, the Schrodinger equation, and the uncertainty principle.

4. Is a background in mathematics required for an upper-level QM course?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is usually required for an upper-level QM course. This is because the course involves complex mathematical principles such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers. Without a good understanding of these concepts, it can be challenging to grasp the concepts of quantum mechanics.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone who has only taken one upper-level QM course?

Having taken an upper-level QM course can open up various career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and technology. Some specific job titles may include quantum physicist, research scientist, or quantum engineer. Additionally, the knowledge gained from an upper-level QM course can also be applied to other fields, such as chemistry and computer science.