Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OOS for every college! What to do for next year?

  1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    OK, currently I'm not a resident of any state (am a us citizen). I've been out of USA for the past few years, but am coming back for college. I've been admitted in quite a few colleges, but will have to pay OOS tuition for all of them.

    What do i do for next year? For some states it is a law that y ou can't become a resident if you're coming to that state just to attend college.
    is it possible that I go to the state ( i don't know which one yet) a few month before college starts, make an ID or a driver's license, so that for the next year i'll be a resident.

    is this possible? can you give other suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    I don't think so. I think here in Washington you've had to have lived a few years to become a "resident", not just one. I believe it was 5. I'm guessing similar laws for different states. One year to become a resident is real short.
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    For tuition purposes, your parents' residence is considered your permanent address. The reason for the difference in tuition in-state vs out-of-state is what in-state people (students or parents) already pay toward taxes that support tuition. If you haven't been living in the state, you haven't been paying state taxes, so that's why you pay higher tuition.
  5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

    jim mcnamara

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    A practical approach is to work for year or two, then reapply. Many states will treat you as a resident at that point.

    If you find a good company - you may get tuition assistance as a benefit.
  6. Mar 24, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    That's what I did, when I moved from Alaska to Washington. While I was estabilishing residency, I took classes through the university extension, which didn't charge OOS tution.
  7. Mar 24, 2008 #6
    Are you sure you're not a resident of any state? Have you paid no state taxes? You might check with the State Department about this; it's a common occurence for military and diplomatic people.
  8. Apr 3, 2008 #7
    No I'm not a resident of any state. I don't file an income tax return, because I don't receive any income. My father does, but he does not pay any state taxes.
    I don't know what to do.
    My EFC is $948.00
    and I can't afford to take loans.

    Are you sure one year doesn't establish your residency.
    I always knew that it did.

    also since you ppl are telling me to work, and since i've been out of us for some time. could you tell me what type of work could a 17 yr old do?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  9. Apr 3, 2008 #8

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    You are almost certainly a resident of some state (or commonwealth or territory). It's your state of last residence before moving overseas, or in the case you were born overseas, it's your parents' state of last residence.

    Many states have strict rules about in-state vs. out-of-state tuition. It's not uncommon for your in-state/out-of-state status for all 4 years to be defined by your status as a freshman.
  10. Apr 3, 2008 #9
    You probably ought to get some legal assistance. You, or your family, must have been a resident of some state at some point. Was that residence terminated (just moving doesn't do it)? You could possibly set your father up for a huge back tax problem.
  11. Apr 3, 2008 #10
    OK I just found out that I even though i was born in ca lived there for half my life, i am a resident of TX

    could someone merge this and my other thread about being accepted to 11 uni's
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook