OOS for every college What to do for next year?

In summary, it is possible to become a resident of a state if you are coming to that state just to attend college. However, you would need to have lived there for a year or two before becoming a resident, and you would need to work for two years while attending college to qualify for in-state tuition.
apples
OK, currently I'm not a resident of any state (am a us citizen). I've been out of USA for the past few years, but am coming back for college. I've been admitted in quite a few colleges, but will have to pay OOS tuition for all of them.

What do i do for next year? For some states it is a law that y ou can't become a resident if you're coming to that state just to attend college.
is it possible that I go to the state ( i don't know which one yet) a few month before college starts, make an ID or a driver's license, so that for the next year i'll be a resident.

is this possible? can you give other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. I think here in Washington you've had to have lived a few years to become a "resident", not just one. I believe it was 5. I'm guessing similar laws for different states. One year to become a resident is real short.

For tuition purposes, your parents' residence is considered your permanent address. The reason for the difference in tuition in-state vs out-of-state is what in-state people (students or parents) already pay toward taxes that support tuition. If you haven't been living in the state, you haven't been paying state taxes, so that's why you pay higher tuition.

A practical approach is to work for year or two, then reapply. Many states will treat you as a resident at that point.

If you find a good company - you may get tuition assistance as a benefit.

jim mcnamara said:
A practical approach is to work for year or two, then reapply. Many states will treat you as a resident at that point.

If you find a good company - you may get tuition assistance as a benefit.

That's what I did, when I moved from Alaska to Washington. While I was estabilishing residency, I took classes through the university extension, which didn't charge OOS tution.

Are you sure you're not a resident of any state? Have you paid no state taxes? You might check with the State Department about this; it's a common occurence for military and diplomatic people.

No I'm not a resident of any state. I don't file an income tax return, because I don't receive any income. My father does, but he does not pay any state taxes.
I don't know what to do.
My EFC is $948.00
and I can't afford to take loans.

Are you sure one year doesn't establish your residency.
I always knew that it did.

also since you ppl are telling me to work, and since I've been out of us for some time. could you tell me what type of work could a 17 yr old do?

Last edited:
You are almost certainly a resident of some state (or commonwealth or territory). It's your state of last residence before moving overseas, or in the case you were born overseas, it's your parents' state of last residence.

Many states have strict rules about in-state vs. out-of-state tuition. It's not uncommon for your in-state/out-of-state status for all 4 years to be defined by your status as a freshman.

You probably ought to get some legal assistance. You, or your family, must have been a resident of some state at some point. Was that residence terminated (just moving doesn't do it)? You could possibly set your father up for a huge back tax problem.

OK I just found out that I even though i was born in ca lived there for half my life, i am a resident of TX

could someone merge this and my other thread about being accepted to 11 uni's

1. What does OOS stand for?

OOS stands for "out-of-state." This term is used to refer to students who are applying to colleges or universities outside of their home state.

2. Why is being an OOS student significant?

Being an OOS student can be significant because it may affect your chances of admission and your overall college experience. Many colleges have different admissions criteria for in-state and out-of-state students, and out-of-state tuition can be significantly higher than in-state tuition.

3. How can I determine if a college is a good fit for OOS students?

To determine if a college is a good fit for OOS students, you can research the school's acceptance rates for out-of-state students, its tuition costs, and the overall diversity of the student body. You can also reach out to current OOS students or alumni to get their perspective.

4. What are some strategies for making the most of my OOS experience?

Some strategies for making the most of your OOS experience include getting involved in campus activities and organizations, networking with other OOS students, and taking advantage of any resources or support services for OOS students offered by the college.

5. What can I do to prepare for the challenges of being an OOS student?

To prepare for the challenges of being an OOS student, you can research the area where the college is located, create a budget to manage potential higher tuition costs, and familiarize yourself with the college's policies and procedures for out-of-state students.