Entering college next year; advice?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Topher Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Year
In summary, a PhD in Physics can lead to a successful career, but it's important to research your options and make sure you are prepared for the long haul.
Topher Jones
Hello, I'm a senior in high school right now and, with the start of my last semester, have begun asking questions about what my future holds for me. I'm attending CU Boulder next year to study Physics, and am planning on going through my Masters and hopefully a PhD. My parents are hesitant about me finding work after I finish. I've read through a few stories about people getting all the way through their PhD's and ending up as bartenders and other sort of jobs. What are the best routes to take? I've heard grad school experience can be superior to new PhD's? Is this true? I was thinking that I'd be pretty easily employed with a research or teaching job after, but am still unsure. What should do a lot of people end up doing? I know I have a lot of time still, but I feel somewhat anxious about it all. Any words of wisdom for the aspiring physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
some universities have applied research labs that do govt research where you as a student can find parttime work that can eventually help in getting a job later on. Also as you progress further along you can become a research assistant to some prof and that might help as well.

The second strategy would be to major in a second field like CompSci or Business or Law ... that makes you a double threat. Many programmers majored in Physics/Math, many patent lawyers have technical backgrounds in CompSci, EE, Physics...

I heard some statistic like there are 10,000 new PhDs in the US each year, but only 1,600 faculty positions.

So, you have to be very sure that you can do well at either teaching or research.

You probably won't have to be a bartender or a taxi driver or flip burgers when you are done. There are alternatives. I'm nearing completion of my math degree, and I'm thinking about getting into finance, actuarial science, engineering, or operations research. You can come up with something.

But, I don't know if it's worth it to spend so much time learning about something else if you don't end up actually doing it. My solution is to keep doing math as a hobby, if I end up not continuing in academia, so for me, provided I can get a job that leaves me with a bit of free time, it will have been worth it to get the PhD.

I think if you work hard, you're in a good position, though, because you can start early. I didn't realize I wanted to get a PhD until I was almost done with my undergrad. But you have time to figure out how to get into grad school and get ahead of the game in every way. If you can compete with the top 20% (among a fairly tough crowd, though), you'll be good to go.

1. What should I major in?

Choosing a major can be a daunting decision, but it's best to choose something that you are passionate about and that aligns with your career goals. Consider your strengths, interests, and values when making this decision. It's also a good idea to speak with your academic advisor or join clubs and organizations related to different majors to get a better sense of what each one entails.

2. How can I manage my time effectively in college?

Time management is key in college, as you will have many responsibilities and deadlines to keep track of. One helpful tip is to create a schedule or planner where you can write down all of your assignments, exams, and extracurricular activities. It's also important to prioritize tasks and avoid procrastination. Remember to also schedule in breaks and downtime to avoid burnout.

3. What is the best way to make friends in college?

Making friends in college can be intimidating, especially if you are in a new environment. One way to make friends is by joining clubs and organizations that align with your interests. You can also reach out to classmates and attend social events on campus. Remember to be yourself and be open to meeting new people.

4. How can I succeed academically in college?

In order to succeed academically, it's important to attend all of your classes, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. Make sure to also meet with your professors during office hours if you have any questions or need extra help. Additionally, create a study schedule and find a study method that works best for you.

5. How can I balance academics and my social life in college?

Balancing academics and your social life can be challenging in college, but it's important to find a healthy balance. Prioritize your academics and make sure to complete assignments and study before engaging in social activities. Remember to also take breaks and make time for self-care. It's also helpful to surround yourself with friends who support your academic goals and can also help you study or work on assignments together.