Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open problems/Research Suggestions

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    I'm going to be doing research next semester on a topic of almost entirely my choice. I'd like to research anything related to geometric group theory, infinite group theory (specifically infinite geometric group theory), growth functions, etc. To give a bit of background; I'm a second year student currently enrolled in a first semester linear algebra course, and abstract algebra course. I will be in the second semester of abstract algebra next semester. I have a 6-7 week winter break during which time I will be doing a good deal of reading and probably come up with some inquiries/ideas but I wanted to see what you all thought...so.....suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    Why not check out past REUs and see what they've done? I know there's been an REU at Cornell that has done stuff along the lines of what you want to do. Why not email someone well-known in the field and ask them what's of interest right now in those fields? There's a geometric group theorist at my university, you can check out his home page here http://www.math.msu.edu/~robertbe/" [Broken]. He's a really nice guy and has done a lot with undergraduates, so I'm sure he'd definitely be willing to suggest some kind of research project on those topics if you give him your background and interests.

Best of luck with research!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
    Also, here's a list of geometric group theorists around the world:

http://www.math.ucsb.edu/~jon.mccammond/geogrouptheory/people.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Nov 13, 2009 #4
    Yet again, Physics Forums delivers. Thanks for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook